Chapter [25]

FLASHBACK CHAPTER
[Charlotte Kendall]

The black car pulled up beside the curb in silence before our driver pulled the parking break up. I constantly rubbed under my eyes, trying my best to erase yesterday from my face completely. Emma was in my father's other car, leaving me alone in the silence with the man himself.

Last night my father had barged in unexpected during our end of summer celebration. He cut the lights and yelled at every single person to get out. The most embarrassing part was seeing Brent Stevens face as he was pulled from the crowd and out the door.

Who knows if he'll ever talk to me again, or if I'll ever see him again. Last night was the end of my freedom.

"Vanessa has been worried sick about you two." My father spoke for the first time since we got off the plane at Phoenix sky harbor. "We'll have a discussion at dinner about everything you two have done."

I quickly open my door and climb out before throwing my backpack angrily over my shoulder. Before I go to slam the car door shut behind me I peak my head through and glare down at my father across the back seat, "Please don't bring Emma into this, she deserves more than what you credit her."

Then the door slams and I am on my way, back up the steps of my front door in Arizona.

+

Benson had promised the last hill to be this one. The twins and himself were already to the top with Ashton closely hanging on behind them. I kept looking up past the roots and trees. You could easily hear the water stream close by and the wind vibrantly kicking at the jungles tree tops. I was most excited about seeing the view and finding a better way off this part of the island. Suddenly Ashton had made it and I was now being tugged up the side of the mountain as he pulled the vines from the top to alert us from the bottom. I went first, then Em, then Tyson.

Earlier Emma finally opened up to me about why she was so distant. She had explained that she was on the verge of a mental break down, ready to lose her mind out her in this massive jungle the longer we sat and waited for no one to come. I understood why she had attacked Ashton and I because seeing her best friend kiss a stranger in the jungle only made her more hopeless of rescue. Luckily for her I had just told Ashton that we couldn't just use each other anymore. He was heartbroken and alone and I enjoyed kissing him to get my mind off the idea of dying here on this island. It was crazy and inconsiderate but we both did it and it can't ever happen again. Everything I ever felt when Ashton kissed me or touched me had to disappear for good because nothing useful was coming out from it. However, seeing Ashton's face drop into a different color of understanding made me more nervous than ever and when Emma finally pulled me aside I almost felt like I was going to throw up.

I was just glad things were back to normal and Emma was at ease knowing that this island was making me crazy just as bad.

The climb up this particular hill was the shortest but the toughest. My muscles were already weak and fragile to begin with but something about this hill had me on edge and feeling sick to my stomach. It was the last hill connecting to the top of the mountain where Benson wanted us to be from now on, no ones knows what everything else surrounding it looks like.

I had made it, meeting Ashton at the top as he used both arms to pull me up. When I was over I shook him away from me so that I could catch my breath. He didn't say anything again and I was worried that he might still be embarrassed by our earlier conversation.

"What the hell went through Benson's mind to even want to try and climb this place?" I huff into the dirt as I rest on my hands and knees.

"Freedom." I hear Benson reply. I look up out of breath still, seeing the man standing tall and strong with his hands rested at his hips. Weirdo.