Chapter 6: You Always Care About Your First Love

3 Weeks Later

Courtney POV

I roll over and smile. I play with Taylor's bed head and I lean in a give him a kiss.

"Mm. What time is it?" He says sleepily. "Late. Afternoon probably."

He sits up and stretches. I pull the comforter over my body as he pulls on his boxers and shirt.

Taylor and I have been dating officially for 3 weeks. And it has been great; I feel appreciated and loved.

I'm about to pull my bra on when my phone starts to ring. Unknown number. I'm about to decline when my gut tells me to answer.

"Oh Courtney. I hope I didn't call at a bad time. But it's Joan, Duncan's mother." She sounds upset and I immediately fear the worse.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Oh. It's Duncan! He hasn't gone to school, all he does is drink and smoke in his room. I can barely get him to eat. I called you because....you're the only one he said he'll listen to." I sigh.

I don't really want to talk to Duncan, but his Mom is really worried. "I'll be right over."
----------

I race over to the Mariano's house and step out, on a mission. I'm wearing a white t-shirt and shorts with some pink converse. My aviators are perched on my hair, which is pulled up in a tight bun.

I knock on the door. Duncan's mom answers in less than 10 seconds. "Thank you so much for coming. He won't listen to anybody and this was my last resort. I hope it wasn't too much trouble...." She says and I wave my hand dismissively.

"It's no trouble......So I'm guessing he's up in his room?" I ask and she nods. "Let me know if you need anything." She says as I walk up the steps.

I push open the door that is so obviously Duncan's, because of the big skull carved in it. It reeks in here. It's almost pitch black, so my eyes have to adjust to the lighting. It smells like beer and weed. I see Duncan laying in bed, snoring loudly, shit drunk.

I step around all the dirty clothes lining the floor and gag at a piece of pizza. He is such a pig. I walk into the bathroom and put a bunch of cold water in the tub, along with a shitload of soap. I'm figuring on how to carry Duncan to the tub when I hear a voice behind me.

"Need help?" I turn to see Duncan's older brother Drake standing in the doorway. "Yes please." We carry him easy to the tub and drop him. Duncan starts to thrash around as soon as his body hits the ice cold water.

I roll my eyes and close the door behind me.

I take a trash bag and start picking up the empty beer cans, old food and trash laying around the room.
Drake helps me and I'm shocked when he grabs me by the arm.

"Listen. My brother was a dick and I don't defend what he did. It was an asshole move. I don't know why he did it. But I do know that he loves you. I do know that he's been getting shit drunk just so he doesn't cry himself to sleep at night. And I know you still love him. So just talk to him. Have a real conversation."

Drake leaves me there to think. I busy myself by vacuuming and spraying the room with air freshener. I don't notice Duncan come in until he clears his throat. I turn around and there he is, mohawk limp and his blue eyes look sad.

"How are you feeling?" I ask quietly.

"Hungover. Shitty." He says as he grabs a clean black v-neck.

"Duncan. You can't do this to yourself......" I whisper. "I need you in my life....I can't live without you...." Duncan says.

"Duncan. We can't do this." I protest. He grabs my hand and holds tight. "Yes, we can. Because I know how I feel about you......I love you. I've known it since the day I met you, I've just been too pussy to say it. I know I screwed up. But I will take the rest of my life to make it up to you. Whatever you want."