FOUR .

┈─ ˚ . FOURTH SURPRISE . ˚ ─┈
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋

of course minghao gets a cold the day after they meet again a month later.

junhui had been scolding him endlessly about not taking care of his health, when not even a week before, he managed to sprain his ankle. hypocrite.

he's had to hear soonyoung complain about his professors for the past hour now and minghao wishes he checked the weather that day.

but recalling what happened that day, he doesn't think he'd change anything if he went back in time.

because he got to see him again.

﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋

he doesn't know if it was purely a coincidence that they happened to see each other that day or if he could even call it fate–

either way, minghao was beginning to think he was simply made to fall for kim mingyu.

he's dreading how bad the landing will be after they graduate.

the fourth time he finds himself falling could come straight out of a book. usually he's one to find them cringey whenever he reads about it, but experiencing it himself is a whole other thing entirely.

﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋

"you'd think one would remember to check what the weather would be like before leaving the house." he curses to himself aloud, crossing his arms to get some kind of warmth at least.

here he was, standing outside the steps of the architecture building under one of the pillars to get some kind of cover from the rain.

he must look ridiculous standing still while everyone holds their umbrellas high above them to shield themselves from the pouring water.

suddenly he regrets lending soonyoung his sweater to "brag about his fashion sense" to superiors. how ridiculous minghao must look today.

he almost resorts to holding his bag over his head as he runs to the next building over.

it would be the best option if he doesn't wish to miss class, but he also doesn't feel like getting half his clothes soaked for the sake of it.

let's see...class or health?

with a sigh he takes off his bag, holding it high above his head as he courageously takes a step into the pouring rain.

when he barely feels a drop on him he looks up to see a black umbrella over him.

he doesn't wait to look behind him and see kim mingyu holding an umbrella over his head, disregarding his own. "you'll get sick if you do that!" he shouts, dragging mingyu under it, much closer than he was before.

minghao steps back in surprise and his life flashes before his eyes as he feels himself slip off a step–

his eyes tightly close shut as he awaits the harsh pain that would soon crash over him.

instead he hears mingyu breathing above him and feels a pair of arms wrapped around his waist. when he opens his eyes the umbrella is nowhere in sight, and minghao is halfway to the ground while the latter holds them both back from falling completely.

he swears he hears mingyu gasp sharply, but he can't focus completely when they're that close to each other. especially when his so-called-crush is holding him up and looks absolutely stunning with wet hair–

how does one look hot like that too?!

not to mention, minghao's hands happened to be placed against mingyu's chest. just when did that even get there? feeling bewildered he holds his breath, not even minding the cold that has now engulfed him.

he doesn't feel it anyway, not when he's practically wrapped in mingyu's arms.

﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋

mingyu slides into the booth they picked out, "i am so sorry for today. that wasn't my intention to–well–"

"save me from landing on my ass?" minghao finished, blowing into the hot chocolate mingyu placed in front of him.

the taller closes his mouth and nods, preferably best to not say anything more.

after a beat of silence minghao speaks up again, "thank you, for uhm.."

"saving you from landing on your ass?" mingyu repeats, and the blonde smiles. "yeah, that."

"wait, when did you even get there? i never saw you." he asks, and mingyu looks down at the marshmallows in his mug. maybe he can ask for extra later. "well, my class happened to end early, so..i just saw you didn't have an umbrella. didn't want you to get soaked, you know?"

minghao's trying his best not to come off as rude, but seeing the way they both ended up a mess in the rain, his plan didn't turn out so smooth. "i wonder how that turned out." he replies sarcastically, and mingyu rolls his eyes.

"hey, this wouldn't have happened if someone wasn't afraid to be near me."

minghao runs his hand through his hair, still a bit wet but it was beginning to dry. "i wasn't afraid. i'd never be afraid." he mumbles, looking out the window of where they were seated. the rain had stopped at least.

"then why'd you move away?"

minghao doesn't know when they've gotten so acquainted with one another. this was probably the first time they've spent more than thirty minutes near each other's presence.

he can't tell if it's a good thing.

"i just..i didn't think you'd be okay with being so close." what kind of reasoning is that xu minghao?

"i don't mind." he hears mingyu say softly, and when he turns his head the male is already looking straight at him.

. . .

an hour passes by, then two, then three, and for the first time minghao thinks that maybe, just maybe, mingyu might have feelings for him too.