Prologue- First meeting

First story and first attempt at writing so please be patient. All feedback welcome! First few chapters are from children's POV. All other chapters feature swearing, sex, drugs ect

Phoebe Age 10

It's the first week of the summer holidays, six glorious weeks away from hell or school as others call it. My step-dad Marcus finally, and I mean finally! Fixed my puncture, so I've gone for a bike ride; on my new and improved lilac BMX. It's soo cool with its white skull and pink roses sticker on the frame and the black chrome stunt pegs on the back wheels.

I'm riding slowly down the path towards the river, my black trainers putting little pressure on the peddles, the grass is so worn from regular use by walkers I cruise easily along. I'm going swimming I can't wait, hopefully the sun dries my denim shorts and pink tshirt before I get home. Mum would freak out if she found out I came alone.
It's not my fault I have no friends, everyone at my school are losers, always calling me names because I wore hello kitty glasses. Jeez I picked them like last year when I was only nine! Nerd, geek and four eyes were the popular choices by my class mates. But Thatcher! Errr Thatcher that big headed bogey brain started calling me "pussy eyes". Which was by far the worst name. So me being me and my short fuse as mum says, head butted him. God it was epic! His nose burst like a water balloon blood gushed everywhere and he cried like a baby. Marcus wasn't too impressed when mum got that call but mum (the woman I got the short fuse from btw.) gave me a secret fist pump. Good news though I broke my glasses during the headbutt and when we went to the opticians to get them replaced, I had to redo my eye test. Guess what, I no longer have to wear them constantly, only reading and writing woop.

As I get closer the the river I hear laughing it's fun and lighthearted. Two boys I think. Hmm I wanted to swim but they might be mean. I slow the bike and stand my feet on opposite sides keeping it steady. I squint towards the water, the big tree with the wide branches has something attached to it, a rope I think? There's a blonde boy with his back towards me holding on to it, he swings back and runs towards the water jumps in the air and lets go. He makes a big splash and surfaces laughing . Wow that looks fun.
"Hey I know you!"
I jump out of fright and my bike topples over bringing me with it and I land on the bank of grass with a thump. Ow. I think I grazed my knee.  I inspect my knee yep a small graze, out the corner of my eye I see a pale hand outstretched towards me. I look up and my bright green eyes lock on to big warm chocolate ones. They remind me of nana Kathy's chocolate gateau. I take in the rest of his face it's tinted pink from the sun. He's skinny with a thin nose and thin lips, he's got freckles dotted across his nose. He must have been kissed by an angel that's what Nana Kathy says. I notice I'm just staring and ignoring his hand, so I quickly grab hold and he pulls me up. His hand was rough and sweaty.
"Are you ok? Sorry I scared you. I shouted pretty loud." He says his voice a little high. I giggle and wipe the grass off my knees before standing up straight. Just before I reply the other boy I was watching joins us. He stands next to his friend, he's a little taller with his arms crossed over his chest smirking at me. I look at his face; bright blue eyes like the ocean, his nose is a little big and full lips he's got matching dimples on either side of his mouth. He quirks a brow and I realise I'm staring, mum says that's rude.
"Sorry to bother you both. I just came to swim, this is my normal spot but I'll leave." As I go to turn away blondie who I recognise from school grabs my shoulder stopping me. "You can stay and play with us if you want. I recognise you from school. Phoebe? You normally wear glasses right?" He asks. His voice is a bit high too.
I nod my head at him unable to find my words, weird.
The brown haired boy, Asher I think his name is smiles. "Yeah it's Phoebe, she's the one who head butted Thatcher!" He breaks out in giggles and I laugh too. "Yeah that's me. Your Asher and Reuben right?" They both nod and smile.
"Come play with us, we've built a tarzi." Asher says walking towards the rope. I must of pulled a face because Reuben laughs. "You've never been on one?" He asks. "Erm no why's it called that?" He looks at Asher and laughs again. "Have a go Asher, show her how to be Tarzan." Oh now I get it they swing like Tarzan. Asher runs back and then swings forward into the water. Yeah that does look like fun. I smile and grab the thick stick attached to the rope, I keep hold walking back then run forward and swing through the air, it's like flying! I let go and drop into the water, not before I notice my hand stinging. I emerge from the water with tears in my eyes shaking out my hand, god that hurts. They both come running over as I walk back out the river. "What's wrong?" Asher asks panicked. I just keep shaking my hand and look to the sky I will not cry in front of these boys. A warm hand grabs mine and drags my hand to his face for inspection. "Damn she got a splinter from the stick." Rueben says his mouth twisting to one side. Asher frowns and looks at my hand too. "Can I try something to get it out? My grandad taught me." Hmm maybe I should just go home , mum will finish work soon and she could do it. On the other hand it really hurts and if his grandad showed him he must know. "Okay, but promise it won't hurt." Rueben smiles at me and brings my hand to his mouth, my eyes widen in shock is he kissing my hand? When his lips touch the splinter he sucks for a few seconds before pulling away, and the pain is gone wow. He lets go of my hand and turns and spits onto the floor. "Wow mate you did it." Asher says looking at my hand in wonder. We all look at each other and smile. I get a nice warm feeling in my tummy.
I think these boys are my new bestfriends.