Wheels

Asher Age 11

I'm sat on the front garden wall kicking my feet back and forth, waiting for the gang to get here. It's the last weekend of the holidays and we've spent it pretty much at the river, swimming but today we're going to bike ride to the big park. It takes about half an hour to get there on our bikes. Me and Reuben have done it before but Phee's step-dad has never let her go with us before. Since we're starting secondary school next week she finally got him to agree to let her come. He's more strict with her than her mum is which is weird because he's not even her real dad but we're not allowed to say that. One time Reuben did and she punched him in the arm saying he's more a dad than her real one. So that's a no go topic. Her sister Cora is three years older than us and she doesn't get along well with Marcus so she moved in with their nana Kathy. I'm glad Phee has him though I miss my dad like crazy. He died three years ago leaving just; my mum, my older sister Alaina she's eighteen now and moved out, my other older sister Alexis and her twin my older brother Alex they're the same age as Cora. Me and my little sister Abbie she's just turned four. It's been hard without dad his death was something no one could of predicted, he had cancer and they found it too late. Mum was heartbroken, us Thomas' may not have much money but we have a loving family I wouldn't change for the world, well maybe Alexis she's a witch sometimes.

I'm staring into space when an all black bike breaks in front of my ratty trainers, it's breaks squeak so loud like a squawking seagull we seen at the beach. They need oiling definitely, my brother Alex has been teaching me how to maintenance peddle and motor bikes. I love it i'm not as smart as Phee in school but bikes, motorbikes and cars they i do get. Well not so much cars but when i get older im going to learn. Im going to make so much money Mum doesn't have to work so much, she has three jobs now having five kids is no joke. I look up and see Rue smiling at me his dimples on show, i smile and nod my head at him in greeting.

"Can you tell this was Kate's bright pink monstrosity?"

He laughs indicating his bike. My eyebrows rise as i take in the bike, its literally all black and shiny i think he's painted it, if it was pink before hes done a good job.

"No way it looks class mate you can't even tell." Huh wait he has a bike already so before he replies i say. "Wait what happened to your bike your dad got you?"

His smile slips instantly as he looks at the floor, therefore its something to with his mother, or the she beast as i call her. He looks back at me and gives me a sad smile.

"She sold it for some crap to get high, Kate told Dad so that's me not getting anything new off him anytime soon. Do me a favour though mate?"

He asks me serious which is unlike him i'm normally the serious one, hes playful and Phee is well shes just Phee.

"Anything mate you know that." I tell him. He nods at me before continuing.

"Don't tell Pheebes this was Kate's just say its new or something, I know shes not snobby or would say anything but we both know she's better off than us and gets new stuff all the time. I guess I just feel scruffy and not good enough to hang around her."

I scowl at him he knows Phee isnt like that she would never say anything to upset anyone unless they annoyed her or us, she has a short fuse but she's not mean. And the thing about her being better off yeah her parents both have good jobs, Marcus is a HGV mechanic with his own business and her mum is this big manager at a clothes shop so yeah they have a bit of money but they work all the time and shes lonely. She;d much rather they spend more time with her. I love my mum i dont care that i dont get the newest clothes or trainers or sometimes get hand me downs from Alex, she tries her best and shows us she loves us. Which I guess is more than what Rue has, his Mum is a junkie i think Alexis called her that or a crackhead. All i know is shes high and never pays the bills sometimes Mum has to feed Rue and Kate but she doesn't mind as long as they're fed. But Rue mum the she beast shes horrible to him and Kate, They're dad walked out like Phees but he comes around now and again and buys them things. Also His dad Rues grandad takes him out dirt biking, he has his own motorbike there. II relax my face and nod at him.

"I wont say anything but dont doubt her she likes us for us not what we wear or have." He just laughs and nods the playful him back.

We both sit on the wall and continue waiting for Phee. I hear the front door creak open i twist my neck around to look who it is. My mum appears with Abbie on her hip i swear that kid is such a cling on. We all look like Mum shes got the same light brown hair as us and brown eyes the only difference is shes short like really short, my dad was over six foot and Alex is nearing that height so hopefully ill grow soon.

"Wheres the third member of trix?" She calls out to us and Abbie looks around eagerly to see Phee her head on a swivel.

"Trix?" I question ive never heard that before, i look at Rue hes smiling and waving at Abbie.

"Thats what ive decided to call your trio youse are joint at the hip you need a cool name." Mum looks at me like it was obvious bugging her eyes as if to say Duh. I hear Rue snort and i supress a laugh i dont want mum to clip me around the head for making fun of her. Just then i hear a smack followed by a hiss then i feel it too around my ear. I swing my head back forward rubbing my ear scowling thinking its Alexis but i smile instantly instead. Phees stood there with her arms crossed with her bike between her legs. She doesn't look happy. I cant help but notice her brown hair in a braid of her shoulder and her emerald green eyes narrowed on me and Rue. I hear my mum laughing behind me but ignore her in favour for Phee.

"I agree Mama Sue, Trix is a cool name and thats what were going by now." She uncrosses her arms and raises a brow as if to challenge her. No way in hell what she says goes if she wants to call us that then i guess that's what were called.

"i love it." I say at the same time Rue says "I think its cool." Mum snorts and makes a whipping sound like a cowboy she;s so embarrassing sometimes.

We all pack the lunches my mum made us into our backpacks ready for the bike ride toward the park and decide on who'll be in the lead, there's nothing better than being with my best friends, being with Trix.