To show yourself worthy

The door opened as I stood a few inches from the door.
From the tension I could see on the servants' shoulders, Cale must already be inside waiting for me.

"Son"

The redhead didn't respond to me at first and I thought my greeting had been ignored.

*Is Cale really in a really bad mood today?*

I walked to my chair and sat down, Cale is there on the opposite side with his eyes closed.
But when he seemed to notice that I had sat down, he opened his eyes.

"Father."

The response to my greeting finally arrived, and even though I felt calmer about not being completely ignored, I couldn't help but shudder.
Cale had a sleepy look and his voice to match, it made me think he came here right after waking up, it also made him look more tired than his son actually looked, but it seemed to make him a little more threatening than the anger that Cale normally directs to him.

It makes me wonder too, if he really woke up and showed up here right away, what could be so demanding?
Perhaps Ron's condition? I heard about his fainting, it was a surprise initially as the butler almost never shows any weakness, much less saw him falter, fainting must have been a surprise to everyone.
I was going to visit him, but I was warned that Cale would be there so I didn't go.

"Tell me son, why did you call me?"

Cale's eyebrows raised a little and he tilted his head slightly to the side, possibly thinking about what to say. I was only able to notice it thanks to the fact that I was attentive to any movement Cale made.

"Father, I have something to ask, and I would like you to help me with something as soon as possible, preferably."

Cale fixed me with a sharp gaze that screamed "and I'm not open to discussion or denial."
And I could immediately know that I didn't have many options.

Cale never left his expressions open for me to read, knowing how he feels or what he thinks at certain moments is almost impossible, his expression always as clean as a blank page, allowing any trace of expression or feelings to go unnoticed.
He very rarely left them open and when he did, it sounded like a threat.

This would make the conversation a little more complicated.

"What do you need Cale?"

The redhead leaned back in his chair lazily before speaking again.

"I plan to have a personal knight."

"Oh!"

It reminded me of what Lily said, about Cale having a personal knight that she or the rest of the Hanituse family didn't even know existed.
It was a surprise, Cale never liked an escort or anything like that, preferring to be and walk alone without worrying about any danger.

It made me wonder if Cale was in danger.

I snapped out of my thoughts and turned my attention to Cale who was looking at me strangely.
I felt immediately embarrassed and had to fight the urge to scratch the back of my head in reaction.

"Continues."

"But he is a commoner, and has not passed any tests or even been recommended to become a knight."

Planning to make someone who has no confirmation that they can protect you into your personal guard?

"Do I know him, son?"

"I don't think so, but Ron knows him, so there's no need to think he's dangerous."

Someone Ron knows, maybe Cale is doing this for Ron, it would make sense.