CHAPTER 12

As Sanjana and Nikhil treaded through the silent streets, the city's sleeping pulse resonated with little life they found. Faces of shopkeepers closing their shops and passersby rushing to get to their homes blurred together as their anxious eyes scanned the diverse crowd, seeking any sign of recognition. 

The urban rhythm clashed with the urgency of their mission, creating a stark contrast that heightened their sense of desperation. Shop after shop, inquiry after inquiry, when minutes turned to hours and a bright afternoon turned into a cold night, the elusive Dr. Kimberley remained a phantom, slipping through the cracks of their relentless pursuit.

Frustration settled in on them as the moon shone brightly, casting a harsh light on their unyielding quest. 

"This is getting us nowhere. We have to find him. He's our only lead right now," Sanjana's voice blend by a mixture of concern and determination, cut through the ambient noise, echoing in the city's corridors as she turned to Nikhil. 

Nikhil, mirroring her frustration, nodded in agreement. 

"I know. We can't afford to lose any more time. Let's try a few more shops before they close down, and if we don't get anything, we might need to consider other options or come again tomorrow."

Their persistence guided them through the labyrinthine alleys, each turn revealing a new facet of the city's diverse faces. 

Nikhil, increasingly uneasy, proposed, "Maybe we should start asking around at the nearby hospitals or clinics which are open right now. They might know, if a popular doctor lives around. Someone might know Dr. Kimberley, or we could find a colleague who could help us." 

Sanjana, grappling with worry, responded, "You're right. Let's expand our search." 

As they pressed on, the symphony of the city played on, its chaotic notes underscoring the elusive nature of Dr. Kimberley, who remained just beyond their grasp.

As Sanjana and Nikhil traversed the city streets, hope flickered when they stumbled upon a nearby pharmacy. Thinking it to be a better starting point for their search, they walked towards the store.

The exterior was bathed in the warm glow of a streetlamp, casting a welcoming aura. Entering the shop, the familiar scent of medicines enveloped them as they approached the counter, manned by a middle-aged shopkeeper engrossed in organising shelves, packing everything to close for the day.

Sanjana, her voice carrying a mix of urgency and hope, decided to initiate the conversation. 

"Excuse me, sir. We're looking for a person, a doctor named Kimberley. Do you maybe know about him or could you help us?" 

The shopkeeper, squinting at them, pondered for a moment before shaking his head. 

"I don't recall the name, but if he delivered medicines, I might remember the face. I have a bad habit to remember the faces. Describe him," the shopkeeper demanded.

"He was tall, with a prominent scar on his cheek – a diagonal mark that probably stood out. Oh yeah, and Adult strabismus on his left eye. That's the only notable detail I remember," Nikhil, provided a detailed description, watched as the shopkeeper's eyes widened with recognition. 

Sanjana, who had been standing beside him, exchanged a glance with Nikhil, asserting him of his accuracy of the remembrance of the details. 

"Ah, yes! I remember now. We had a bit of a confusion due to his eye condition. But yeah he did come by. A doctor with a distinctive look. We did deliver some medicines a couple of days ago. Suffering from blood loss or hyperacidity or both, I don't remember exactly but didn't seem well enough to me." The shopkeeper replied as he opened his diary searching for his address.