Sunrise and Downfall on Mount Ebott

POV Clover

"Huff... huff..." I wheezed, seeing smoke materialize out of my mouth with each breath I took. Good thing I didn't take a backpack with me; it'd be harder with the extra weight. Sure, a backpack is useful, but I wanted to make this quick. Maybe, just maybe, I could rescue those kids before the sunrise... or what's left of them.

I shivered at the thought, or maybe the cold air. I learned from my dad long ago that the higher you go up in the atmosphere, the colder it gets somehow. I didn't know exactly how this worked, but I sure knew how it felt.

I wiped the sweat from my forehead and trudged on, feeling the loose dirt and gravel slide against my boots with each step, hearing it tumble and roll down. One wrong move and I'd be the one to go with it.

A few minutes later I'd finally reach what was somewhat the top of the mountain. Looking up, I saw there was a bit more to go, but my exhaustion rendered my determination to continue the climb any longer void. Looking down at the ground, I realized it was reasonably flat, and sat down. Maybe this is where I'd set up shop.

"Phew..." I wheezed, "Any longer I'd be dead maybe."

After a couple of minutes of just lying there, I got the feeling that something was nearby. With my hand on the latch of my- no... my dad's, revolver, I looked around vainly in the darkness. Realizing I'd forgotten to take a flashlight with me, I took matters into my own hands and grabbed some sticks and grass. A couple of minutes later I held up my glowing creation on a stick, primitive style. I looked around for any potential threats but saw none. Yet that noise was still there.

"Show yourself!" I yelled, feeling mighty confident in my fighting skills, which definitely weren't impacted by the gun I had in possession. I walked forward towards the dense foliage, searching for any predators, waving my torch around for a bit to no avail.

"What I thought," I said, smirking. I backed up, retreating to my little flat area. I dug a little hole in the ground with my fingers and stamped the torch in place.
Gathering a few more sticks, I lit those too and prepared them likewise. I backed up, getting a full glance at my handiwork. I had constructed a ring around the area, lined with the fire of the torches. My dad told me that though animals were inherently curious, they would never go too close to fire. Thoroughly impressed, I entered my area and laid down, deciding it was best to get some shut eye. I'd be on my own for a while, and energy was so ever important.

"Besides not having direct access to food, I could get used to this," I said. But a little later I got cold and made another fire, which would be right next to me.

"I swear if I accidentally roll over into the fire pit, I'm gonna be extremely mad." I was a restless sleeper, so there was a good chance I would. Recounting the list of the dangers of the mountain my dad stated at dinner, I wouldn't want rolling into fire while being asleep as one of them.

I looked up into the starry night, gazing at what I knew was the little dipper. I took the missing person's photo of Jade out, glancing over it once again.

"Don't worry Jade," I thought, "I'll deliver JUSTICE! I vow it." And with that, I fell asleep.

Morning

I rubbed my eyes, slowly getting up onto my feet. I looked around, seeing the burnt ashes of the sticks I'd previously used as a defense on the ground. I covered it up, not wanting to leave any trace of my whereabouts. Then there was the fire pit, which was also smothered out. I took care of that too. Seeing the sunrise upon the earth, I decided it was time to get to work. My parents were probably up freaking out right now. I laughed at the thought, turning around to start the rest of my trek uphill.

My eyes widened and I backed up, caught off guard. "What!"
What stood in front of me was a huge opening to a little cave. Couldn't call it a cave since it didn't even look like one, but it sure had a roof over it. I stomped on the ground in frustration.

"You've gotta be kidding me, I could've slept in there!"

But then there was the worrying part: If I knew this was a good place to camp, so did other animals. And bears loved caves.

I cautiously moved forward, slowly entering the darkness with my hand on my holster. The sun had not yet risen high enough to provide sufficient lighting, but I had my eyes to make up for it. And if I saw a bear, well... I'd get the heck out.

I tried to keep my breathing to a minimum to reduce the amount of noise I made, but no matter what I did, I kept hearing myself breathe hard. That's when I heard a low crunch behind me.

I froze, my body tense as my mind raced with the possibilities of what it was. I slowly turned around, praying to God it wasn't a bear or a cougar. I had turned around enough to see the quadrupedal body of a cougar, and my blood went cold. There it was, the predator. A shiver went up my spine as I heard it growl. It was here for a kill, and there was no one else here but me.

Shivering with fear, I slowly kept turning to face the cougar head-on, remembering exactly what my dad told me.

"Don't be afraid when ya see one, Clover. Try to make yourself appear bigger and make a loud noise to try and scare it off. Howeva, if it's there for the kill, and you'll know when it is, best thing to do is become a predator yourself. Be fierce Clover, be fierce."

"You better be right Dad," I mumbled.

I slowly unlatched my... my dad's revolver and pointed it at the cougar, speaking in a loud, firm voice, "Back up! Back up!"
The cougar took a step forward, not catching the bait.

"Well crap," I thought.

"Ay yo! I said BACK UP!" I stepped forward, and the cougar snarled at me, not moving an inch.

"BACK OFF!" I yelled even louder, taking another step forward. The cougar seemed to get the message, as it looked like it realized I, too, was a predator.

That was a bad thing.

The cougar bared its sharp canine teeth at me, threatening to snap me at any moment.

"Okay okay," I said in a low voice, slowly backing up. As intended, the cougar slowly moved towards me. A checkmate move, as it knew I was cornered in the cave.

It swiped at the air with its razor-sharp nails, trying to get a reaction out of me, but I, too, played chess and braced myself to not flinch. I knew that since it regarded me as a predator, it'd be cautiously testing for an opening.

It growled at me, dissatisfied to see I didn't react to it.

"Back off! Now!" I yelled at it, taking a step forward, but it still didn't back off. I knew I was running out of options, and time itself was running out. Sooner or later this cougar would be desperate.

I sighed deeply, not wanting to do what I was about to do. Yet I knew there was no other choice; I had to shoot it.

"Just remember this. Violence isn't always the best choice." I heard my dad's voice go through my head. I gritted my teeth, ignoring the warning, and aimed for the head. This cougar was not about to get me. I couldn't let it. I had a job to do, and I wouldn't die no matter what if I had a say in it, without coming back with Jade.
I pulled the trigger, bracing myself for the shot. But nothing happened.

"Huh?" I said, confused. "I swear this is NOT the time for it to jam."

I inspected the cylinder, only to find each chamber empty.

"Gosh darnit, I forgot to load the gun!" I yelled. A bit too loud.

I saw the cougar slowly advance on me, in a pouncing position.

"No no no no no! Get back! I said back!" I backed up. The cougar didn't.

I knew I was done for, but my heart wouldn't let me give up just yet; after all, I still had JUSTICE to carry out. I put my dad's revolver back into its holster and took the sickle out, raising it in front of me in defense.

"If you want some of this! Try and get it!" I yelled and charged towards the cougar. The cougar jumped forward, pushing me onto the ground.

"Get off!" I tried my best to throw it off, but it was too heavy. The cougar retaliated against my efforts and clawed at my face, the sharp, razor-like claws effortlessly slicing my skin. I was too high on adrenaline to care.

Gripping into the handle of my sickle, I took it and shoved it up the belly of the beast, feeling the blood drip down on my clothes. The cougar snarled in pain, its grip loosening. I took my chance and thrust my feet into it, kicking it off of me. I quickly got back up, assuming a defensive stance as the cougar swiftly gained composture. It struck again with its claws, but I parried with my sickle. The sheer force of power each time it struck pushed me farther and farther into the cave.

"I said BACK OFF!" I yelled, leaping towards the cougar. The cougar tried to swipe at me, but I blocked it with my arm. Quickly, it tried using its other, but I grabbed it. I pushed both of its arms down and kneed it in the face, kicking it in its stomach afterward. I sliced its face, serving JUSTICE for my wound.
The cougar got up, reinvigorated, and ready to attack. It struck at blinding speed, forcing me to back up a bit, losing the ground I covered. With each powerful swipe and each lunge, I went back further and further. I stepped back and almost slipped on the edge of what looked like to be a giant hole.

"Oh no," I sweated nervously. The cougar looked like it wasn't anywhere near giving up, and the only other place I could go was down there, where it likely wouldn't follow. Gritting my teeth, I tried attacking, doing my best to recover some ground, but to no avail. My time was running out.

Finally, the cougar dealt its last swipe, with enough force that it knocked me back, and I slipped.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhh!" I yelled, trying to gain footing, but it was too late. I looked past the cougar to see a semi-circle of the sun in view as I fell into the deep hole. I turned my head to look below me, only to see a bed of yellow flowers.

"So much that will do," I thought to myself as I blacked out, the last thing on my mind was the brightness of the sun. Knowing how deep this hole was, if I did survive, I wouldn't be seeing it for a LONG time.