A Shy Artist And A Cute Sweet Corn

"Wait up, Sir," I yelled, chasing after the cloaked figure. I jumped over the steps leading up to the platform and dashed into the next room. Unfortunately, somehow the cloaked figure had escaped.

"Well crud," I said to myself.

The room had several vines and cobwebs strewn all over the place, and the only thing that looked like it was kept at least moderately well was yet another pink flower bed.

"Someone really likes pink flowers huh? Yet no matter how bad this place looks; the flowers make it some weird ancient landscape," I said, marveling at the sight. I mostly grew up around produce and animals, so the few garden flowers I ever got to see were cherished greatly.

Scratch... scribble-scribble. Riiiiiiiip.

"Huh? Whose there?" I asked, quickly whipping around. I drew out my scythe just in case it was a strong foe, feeling the soft leather on the handle.

But then I saw a piece of paper fly into the air, landing right next to my feet.

"I-I-I-I'm sorry. I-I was just scra-scrapping it."

I looked down to see a small, yellow, lizard-like monster with a pencil on the back of her head and an eraser on the tip of her tail. I buckled my scythe and raised my hands in front of me.

"Hey, I mean no harm, okay?"

The little monster looked up at me, her body starting to tremble in fear.

"Uhh... do you like drawing?" I asked, trying to lighten up the mood. I quickly coughed into my arm, cursing myself for judging her just because she was basically a pencil.

When she didn't respond, I decided to take action and picked up the piece of paper. I dusted it off, trying to get a good look at it.

"Wait! No! I-I-it's not ready!" The monster yelled, shooting random pencils at me.

My eyes widened in surprise as my fight or flight instincts kicked in. Quickly, I rolled to the side, narrowly dodging a rouge pencil. I took a quick glance to my right, seeing two pencils incoming. Effortlessly, I dived over them, rolling to my feet.

"Ahh! Crap!" I yelled, feeling a searing pain develop on my arms. Surprisingly, my jacket was unharmed, but I could feel in my soul I was at least a little bit hurt.

I looked over at the monster to see her hands covering her mouth in shock.

"I-I'm sorry, I really d-didn't mean to. I... I should go," She stuttered.

"Man. That'd be so much easier, but my conscious won't let me leave a bad first impression," I thought to myself.

Sighing deeply, I looked over at the drawing in my hand, seeing a lovely detailed artwork depicting the scenery of the flower bed. I inwardly gasped.

"Woah! This is really good!" I exclaimed. It seemed to catch the small monster's attention.

She looked away, somehow saddened. "You're just saying that cause you feel obligated to."

"What! No! I'm being genuine!" I said, using most of my energy to force a smile. "If it was bad, I wouldn't lie to you. If you're an artist, you should be open to criticism, so when your weak spots are pointed out, you can work on it. Best not to take it personally tho, even if the critic is saying it personally."

I could see her head nod in agreement.

"You do really good at drawing! Dunno why you'd want to scrap this!"

She looked away shyly. "I-it wasn't ready for people yet."

"Well, I'm sorry then. Here's your paper," I said, handing her the drawing.