- 38 -

-

THE FLICKERING flames of the fire were a mesmerizing spectacle, casting a warm and comforting glow over the gathering of friends. Their dance and crackle seemed to weave stories of ages past, captivating our attention and creating an almost hypnotic effect. Lost in the play of light and the soothing sound of the burning wood, I shivered slightly, feeling a tender caress of wind against my skin. It was one of those nights where the elements seemed to conspire to create a magical ambiance.

Suddenly, a soft, heavy fabric was draped over my shoulders. Surprised, I turned to see Jungwon, a smug smile adorning his face as he carefully wrapped a warm and cozy blanket around me. The texture of the fabric felt like a gentle embrace, and I couldn't help but feel grateful for his kind gesture. The warmth of his gesture seemed to extend beyond the blanket, creating a sense of comfort and care that was deeply appreciated.

As I gazed at the dancing flames, Jungwon nestled down beside me, playfully nudging my shoulder. Concern laced his voice as he inquired, "What's up with you?" His eyes searched my face for any sign of distress, a genuine display of friendship and concern.

"Nothing, I'm fine," I replied, averting my eyes for a moment, trying to mask the swirl of emotions I was experiencing.

"Don't tell me your old grudges are coming back," Jungwon teased, referencing our previous friendly rivalry.

"Maybe," I teased back, trying to keep the conversation light, even as a myriad of conflicting emotions bubbled beneath the surface.

"Seriously, what's wrong? Is it your ankle?" Jungwon's tone grew more serious, showing a depth of concern that touched me.

"It's nothing, Jungwon," I replied. Just then, Yuri trotted over to Jungwon, wrapping her arms around him, and the pang of discomfort returned.

"Hi, Jungwon," she greeted, glancing at me briefly. "Jurin," she said before turning back to Jungwon, smiling.

I felt a sudden surge of unease and stood up, taking the blanket off. As I was about to walk away, Haerin grabbed my wrist. I turned to her with pleading eyes, hoping she would let me go. She sighed and released my wrist, sensing my need for some space.

Retreating to the cottage, I opened the door and kicked off my shoes. Changing into pajamas, I lay on the bed, the scent of Jungwon's lingering vanilla body wash bringing a mix of emotions. Memories of shared moments and conversations seemed to echo in the air, intertwining with the uncertainty I felt about the current situation. It was as if the scent carried a weight that mirrored the heaviness in my heart.

As I lay there, trying to make sense of my own emotions, the door opened abruptly, startling me. I instinctively pulled the covers over my head, seeking a moment of solace and privacy. Only my friends knew that Jungwon and I were sharing this cottage, and I wanted to gather my thoughts in solitude.

"Yuri, I've told you countless times, I'm not interested. Please leave me alone," Jungwon's voice echoed in the cottage as he respectfully rebuffed her. I peeked out to see him closing the door, his expression a mix of exhaustion and resolve.

"She's so annoying," Jungwon sighed wearily before making eye contact with me. We held each other's gaze for a moment, the tension thick in the air, the unspoken emotions lingering between us. It was a moment where words seemed inadequate to convey the complex feelings that were swirling within us.

Seeking a moment of distraction, I reached for my phone, hoping to find a brief respite from the emotional turmoil. The quiet hum of the device seemed to offer a temporary escape, allowing me to gather my thoughts and emotions in the midst of the unexpected turn of events. And as I navigated through the messages and notifications, I found a semblance of solace in the simple act of being momentarily absorbed in something other than the whirlwind of emotions that had unfolded.

+*___________*+
A\N

I hope you guys enjoyed and liked this chapter. Please follow vote and comment to show your support. I am going to post new books soon so follow to get updated on when I post them.
I also have other books, so go check them out if you'd like!

Check out my other books, now out!

I LOVE YOU