Introduction to the new world

After coming home from Hope Coffee, I went to my room and started doing what I'm good at - designing. I find so much joy and fulfillment in creating wedding dresses. My father, Dr. Clyde Johnson, has even offered to hire designing tutors for me, but I instantly declined. Being around people, especially strangers, is something I despise.

The only reason I go to Hope Coffee is because of Melissa; otherwise, I would never step foot there. Hope Coffee is a unique place where individuals who have experienced childhood trauma come to find solace. It's like a clinic, but they've transformed it into a coffee shop to break societal norms. Whenever I'm there, I feel like I'm truly discovering myself. I often spend my time sketching dresses and immersing myself in this peaceful environment.

As I was lost in my thoughts, I hear the door of my room creak open slowly. The familiar therapeutic voice of my dad, Dr. Johnson, gently asked, "Can I come in?" I smiled and nodded, feeling comforted by his presence. He approached and sat down next to me, the only man I allowed to be so close. "Baby Didi!" he called out, using the nickname he designated for me when I officially became his daughter. "Yes?" I replied, eager to hear what he had to say.

"If you're not comfortable attending the yearly awards ceremony, you don't have to go," he utters, concern evident in his eyes. I pondered his words for a moment and then confidently asserted, "I want to go." His eyes instantly welled up with tears of joy. "Oh my, baby, you're finally coming out of your shell," he exclaimed with sheer happiness.

"Okay, I'll be the one to choose your dress and do your makeup," he announced, his tone serious. "What? I don't want to look like a clown," I protested.
"Ah, so you mean I can't dress you up now that you're almost 18?" he pretended to be saddened. "Yes!" I responded, playfully running away from him.
He chased after me, pretending to catch me. "Come here, I'll do your makeup and turn you into a clown," he jokingly shouted.
"Never, never," I replied as I continued to run. Eventually, I stumbled into my grandmother's arms. She was surprised but played along with the game. "Don't touch my baby," she said protectively. "Okay," my father relented, giving me a mischievous look that implied, "You'll see." Then he left.

My dad is the only person who could make me laugh out loud, even when I am feeling sad. I'm amazed by my sudden transformation, becoming more joyful and relaxed. This is the peace I had been waiting for all these years, and I'm so happy for myself.

The night of the yearly awards ceremony had arrived. I had done my best to look normal and dress like a lady for the first time in five years.

When I finished getting dressed by my designers, I joined my family who were apparently waiting for me since everyone was already dressed up

When I finished getting dressed by my designers, I joined my family who were apparently waiting for me since everyone was already dressed up. As soon as my uncle saw me, he asked, "Who are you?" I couldn't help but playfully respond, "An alien!" This caused everyone to burst into laughter. Melissa, in disbelief, exclaimed, "Wow, you look stunning!" My dad, pretending not to recognize me, asked, "Baby DiDi, is that really you?" I couldn't resist and replied, "No, I'm from Mars!" I rolled my eyes playfully and ran to hide next to my grandmother, adding a bit more humor and excitement to the moment.