Chapter 52

Later that night, Esmé stayed up with Evelyn. She couldn't stop pacing the room. Every time she went to check on Alma, the woman didn't say much. But at least she took the food and medicine Esmés been giving her.

Esmé didn't know what to do. She wanted Alma to talk to her, but she didn't want to talk about her almost dying.

"Maybe you should sit down. You're giving me a headache just watching you." Evelyn mutters as she watched the woman.

"Get a better brain." Esmé responded. She didn't even know what she meant by that, but she didn't think too hard about it.

"That makes no sense."

"I know." Esmé sighs and rubbed her hand over her forehead, trying to rid her own headache.

"I'll make better mouth." Esmé sighed, then realized what she said. "Or not I guess."

Evelyn raised an eyebrow and Esmé finally sat down beside her.

"I can't think straight."

"That's because you're not." Evelyn says.

"I am but that's not what I meant." Esmé sighed. "I mean- Alma almost died. And now she's not talking to me."

"Give her some time. Tomorrow she'll be better."

"She's been running a fever and I've been giving her medicine but I'm worried it's not enough." Esmé says as her eyes started to water.

"Esmé, she's going to be alright." Evelyn said softly, wrapping an arm around her.

"What if she's right? What if she dies?"

"She's not, she's going to be okay." Evelyn says hugging her close against her side.

"I don't want to lose her." She says, her voice quiet as her throat tightened.

"You won't lose her, Esmé." Evelyn said softly. "It's alright." Esmé shook her head as she tears began to fall.

"Why don't you go upstairs and see her, alright?" Evelyn asks and Esmé hid her face against the wights shoulder.

"She won't talk to me."

"She will if she sees how upset you are. Please just go talk to her." Evelyn said gently, hugging Esmé.

"Fine." She says, standing up and wiping her eyes as she composed herself and went upstairs. She quietly went down the hallway to not wake the children and opened the door.

Alma's eyes were closed, Esmé immediately started to panic. She rushed over to Alma and grabbed her wrist, trying to feel a pulse.

"Alma, Alma! Come on, come on." Esmé broke down as she shook the woman, not noticing that Alma moved her hand, confused and concerned when she seen the younger woman hugging her tightly as she sobbed.

"Esmé, honey. What's wrong?" Alma asked, worried for the younger woman.

"Alma!" Esmé cried, holding onto her tightly once she realized the older woman was in fact alive.

"Darling, look at me." Esmé wouldn't though as she held the older woman tight against her, her talons digging into Almas coat as she did. She hid her face against Alma chest, listening to her heartbeat to assure her she was there.

"Sweetheart please, look at me. Esmé, please." Alma said softly trying to make her look up at her.

Esmé shook her head as she kept her ear close to her chest, not wanting to leave. She couldn't.

Alma took her hands into hers to stop Esmé from digging them into her coat, trying to look at the younger woman.

"Honey I'm alive, I'm here, please." Alma begged her to look at her, worried for the younger woman.

"I- I thought-" Esmé cried as she held onto her tightly.

"Darling." Alma cupped the woman's face, Esmé panicking more when she felt how warm the woman felt. "Take a breath." Esmé said nothing as she placed her hands on top of Almas as tears kept falling down her cheeks.

"It's okay darling, we're okay." Alma said softly. "Hey it's alright Esmé."

"Please don't ever ever leave me, I can't do this without you, I can't Alma." Esmé says, her voice in a rush as she begged the woman, tears blurring her vision as Alma brushed them away.

"I'm not going to leave you. I'm here with you, I am I promise." Alma said gently as she held the younger woman closely.

Esmé hugged her tighter, not letting her go and Alma placed a small kiss on her forehead.

"Your fever is going up." Esmé says, worried.

"I'm fine, honey." Alma said gently. "I'll be okay."

"But I want you to be okay now."

"I'll be alright soon, don't worry." She says softly as she runs her talons through the younger woman's hair, Esmé leaning into the touch.

"I love you." Esmé said softly, pressing kisses to Alma's cheek.

"I love you more my darling." She chuckled.

"I don't want you to ever ever go." Esmé says quietly and Alma placed a light kiss on her lips, Esmé blushing when she did.

"Esmé I am never going to leave you. You're stuck with me." Alma said gently as she held the younger woman closely.

The younger woman carefully moved on top of the woman, being extra careful of her leg when she did and when it seemed a bit difficult, she shifted into a bird and curled up on the older woman's stomach.

Alma smiled at this and began running her fingers through the younger woman's feathers. "You're adorable." She chuckled at her.

Esmé ruffled her feathers out, leaning into her touch as her talons gently ran over her.

"You're so soft." Alma says with a small smile.

Esmé cooed and moved to bump her beak against Alma's nose, the older woman smiled and kissed her beak.

The younger woman spread her wings a bit, getting comfy as she soaked in the warmth from both the woman and the blankets. Alma continued running her talons down the woman's feathers, Esmés eyes wanting to shut as she did.

"Rest love, I'll be here when you wake up." Alma said softly as she pet the younger woman. Esmé melted into the touch and closed her eyes as she lay on top of her.

Eventually she dozed off and Alma smiled slightly as she looked over the bird. Any minute now she would shift back while she's asleep.

Alma grinned to herself when Esmé changed back into a human. She held the woman tightly in her arms, looking over her beautiful face.

"I promise you I'll always be here, darling." She says in a whisper, brushing the woman's hair back with her nails. "I'm never leaving."