Chapter 77

Alma had decided to speak to Ember and Ollie alone later that day. "Children." She said stiffly once she shut the door. "You cannot say such things to your mother."

"But you seen what she did!" Ember says and Ollie looked off to the side. He was upset but chose not to say anything. Willow on the other hand stayed to herself on her bed, not wanting to listen to either of them. She was a bit upset with her mom, but she didn't like how her siblings thought of her now.

"She doesn't deserve your disrespect. Do you have any idea how much she loves you? She would do anything for you."

"Anything? And she still cheats." Ember rolled her eyes. "She doesn't seem to care all that much about our family. That was her brother's girlfriend for crying out loud!"

"Shut up!" Willow snaps, tears streaming down her face as she sent her sister a hurt glare as she hugged her stuffed duck.

"Mom loves us! And you're just being mean!" Willow scolded as she cried. Ember gave her a pitiful look, and Ollie stared at the floor.

"She thought Evelyn was me. She'd had too much to drink and got confused." Alma sighed. "And she's already torn us about it enough." Alma then lowered her voice so Willow couldn't hear. "We nearly got a divorce, and the way you two are behaving is not helping."

Ember went quiet. She didn't like what her mother did, but she didn't want them divorcing. She loved them both even though she was upset.

"You're not, are you?" Ollie asked, saddened by the idea.

"I almost did. But I called it off. I love your mother too much to do that. Now, would you please apologize for your behavior?"

"Why should we apologize?" Ember asks and Oliver sent her a look.

"Enough, Ember." He scolds, standing and leaving the room, Willow catching up to him before he left and leaving Alma alone with the girl.

"Ember, darling, why are you so upset?" Alma asked, as she looked down at her daughter. The girl looked so similar to her.

Ember didn't answer and looked away, Alma sitting on the edge of the bed beside her.

"Talk to me, what's wrong?" Alma asked calmly, worried for her. Ember looked up at her with tears in her eyes.

"I don't want her to keep making you upset." She says quietly, Alma gently wiping her daughters tears away as she looked over her.

"Oh darling. Something you'll learn one day, is every relationship has its struggles. But your mother and I have been happy together for over a decade. Every relationship has bumps in the road." Alma said gently. "And I know this wasn't a great experience. But we're both trying our best to keep our family together."

"You don't think she'll do that again, right?" Ember says and Alma shook her head.

"As I stated before, your mother just had a bit too much to drink and she told me herself she never wants to again." Alma says softly.

"What if she's lying.?" Ember asked, unsure. "What if she does do something more with Evelyn? I don't want that."

"She won't. If you would have seen how upset your mother was and still is, you'd know." Alma says softly and she ran her hand gently through her dark blue hair. "It hurt hearing some of what you all said to her, she loves you more than you can imagine."

Ember through for a long moment. "She's your mother, honey. And you're her daughter. You know that, don't you?" Ember nodded sadly. Alma stood up when she heard a shout. It sounded like Esmé.

"What's going on?" Ember asks and followed her mother out of the room, Alma looking around confused until she seen Victor's door was open. She must have been looking for Enoch for lunch.