6. Parties Aren't Really My Thing

I bounce out of bed, feeling perkier than before. I actually take time getting ready this morning. I out of a face of natural makeup, with mascara, concealer and lipgloss, and wear low-rise jeans with a white halter neck shirt. As soon as I leave my room, Violet interrupts me,

"Someone's in a good mood" she raises her eyebrows at me

"I just made a friend at school, that's all"

"You finally made a friend that isn't a douche?" she says with utter surprise

"Yes yes, don't be so surprised." i roll my eyes "I need to head off before i'm late anyways, see you later."

"Have a good day Avery." she smiles.

I rush outside, and there sits Noah's car directly in front of my house. My eyes widen as I run over. Noah rolls open the car window.

"Noah? What are you doing here?"

"Dropping you off at school, figured you wouldn't want to sit on the bus anymore"

"You didn't have to do that, Noah."

"It's no bother, really. Jump in"

I climb into the car, fighting off an uncontrollable smile at the kindness of this gesture.

"So.. Have you heard about the party coming up?"

"Party? What party?" I've never been invited to any parties, i've never even been spoken to about them before. I have already guessed that parties do happen with the people who go to our school, but I think everyone has avoided telling the quiet, shy girl.

"There's a party happening tonight, apparently some guy's mom is away so he's hosting it. Are you going?"

"Uh- I haven't actually been invited" I admit

"Well, consider this your invite." Noah grins

"I'm not exactly a party person to be honest."

"Neither am I, anymore."

"Anymore?"

"I used to go out to parties and stuff, but, it's not my thing anymore." he mutters "I'll happily go if you come with me though?"

I look up at the way Noah moves the steering wheel. He has his veiny hands controlling it so elegantly. I can tell he isn't new to driving with his confidence that beams off of him.

You know what, screw it. I'm a teenager, i'm supposed to have fun "Sure, why not"

"Great, i'll pick you up at 7, is that okay?"

"No problem."

For the rest of the drive, we chat about what feels like everything, I tell him about my family and how I grew up and well- I don't- I don't actually think he told me about his family during our conversation. I remember him looking slightly uncomfortable when I mentioned family but he never said a word about it. It seems that our chat was merely one sided, I feel bad about this for the rest of the day, up until last period, where the nerves of the party kick in. It's art class, I sit fiddly in my chair, Delilah is at the other end of the table, doodling in her sketchbook.

"Aren't you going to draw, Avery?" she questions

I come out of my daydream, startled, "Yeah- Yeah yeah. I mean, it's art, why wouldn't I draw."

"What's on your mind?" she drops her pencil flat on the table.

"It's just, Noah invited me to a party."

Her eyes light up "Omg, girl! Fire. Is it the party that's happening tonight?"

"Yeah.."

"I'm going too! Chloe and Logan are gonna be there too, i'll introduce you to them, if you aren't too busy with Noah" she teases