v

matt's pov

now playing
now that we don't talk - taylor swift

❝ you went to a party, i heard from
everybody. you part the crowd
like the red sea, don't even
get me started

did you get anxious, though ,
on the way home?

i guess i'll never ever know
now that we don't talk❞

As I drove to the party, an overwhelming sense of reluctance washed over me. Parties, in all their festive grandeur, were not my cup of tea.

The sheer magnitude of the crowds, the perpetual swarm of people that inevitably filled the space, the cacophony that pierced through the air—each element served as a reminder of my aversion to such gatherings. From the boisterous revelry to the minute details, my distaste for parties encompassed every facet of the experience.

On the contrary, Sereia is quite fond of them. Parties seem to be an integral part of her weekly routine, as she ventures into the realm of social gatherings with remarkable frequency.

More often than not, she extends an invitation for me to accompany her on these escapades, leaving me with little choice but to oblige.

It appears that our differing perspectives on parties create an intriguing dynamic, one that we navigate together as we explore the contrasting realms of revelry and introspection.

Thank god for the company of my brothers, who have graciously agreed to accompany me on this particular occasion.

"You and Chris can go ahead" I utter, casting a glance over my shoulder towards the occupied backseat where Nick and Chris have settled themselves. My voice carries a hint of resignation, acknowledging their presence and granting them permission to forge ahead without me.

"Okay," Nick affirms with a nod, gracefully exiting the vehicle. Chris trails closely behind, deftly closing the doors, and in an instant, the two of us find ourselves alone, Sereia and I, enveloped in a cocoon of solitude. The fading echoes of their departure linger in the air, leaving behind a palpable stillness that amplifies the weight of our shared presence.

"Sunny, I really don't wanna go to this one," I retort, my words laced with a gentle and tender tone. The weight of my apprehension is carried delicately in my voice, as if tiptoeing on the precipice of my emotions.

Sereia scoffs, her voice dripping with frustration. "What makes this one so different? You've gone with me to every single other party," she retorts, her words laced with a touch of annoyance.

A sense of unease settles within me as I muster the courage to respond. "Sunny," I reply, my voice tinged with a hint of vulnerability. "There are so much more people in this one. Can I just.. Sit this one out?" I ask, my hand reaching out to grasp hers in a gesture of reassurance. However, to my astonishment, she swiftly withdraws her hand, leaving me perplexed and uncertain.

Sereia's voice brims with frustration and a hint of desperation as she vehemently protests, "No! I refuse to be seen as some kind of pathetic loser who arrived without her boyfriend," she declares, her tone filled with defiance.

With determination in her eyes, she swings open the car door and steps out, a silent command for me to follow. "Come along now," she urges, her voice carrying a mix of urgency and expectation.