xi.

third person pov

now playing
seven - taylor swift

❝ i think your house is haunted.
your dad is always mad and
that must be why.

and i think you should
come live with me. and we can
be pirates. then you wont have
to cry or hide in the closet.

and just like a folk song, our love
will be passed on ❞

- flashback -

Natalie's heart clenched as she tightly covered her ears, shutting out the distant echoes of her parents' voices that reverberated through the house. With her eyes squeezed shut, she hoped to shield herself from the tension and turmoil that filled the air.

The sound of their yells from downstairs served as a painful reminder of the discord that lingered within her family, leaving her longing for a sense of peace and understanding.

In an attempt to find solace, she softly hummed a soothing melody, hoping it would bring her some inner calm. However, a frown creased her lips as the song failed to have its desired effect.

It was as if the notes couldn't penetrate the depths of her unease, leaving her searching for alternative ways to ease her troubled mind.

Her eyes welled up with tears, cascading down her cheeks like a gentle stream of water.

Each tear carried with it a weight of emotions, a complex blend of sadness, frustration, and vulnerability. As they fell, they mirrored the depth of her feelings, leaving a poignant trail of vulnerability in their wake.

Sitting there in the midst of her tears, the sound of loud stomps and footsteps pierced through the air, interrupting her sorrowful moment. With a mixture of trepidation and curiosity, she slowly released her palms from her ears, her eyes widening as she braced herself for what might come next.

The sudden intrusion broke the silence, adding another layer of complexity to her already tumultuous emotions.

Just as she was about to gather herself and respond to the jarring sounds of stomps and footsteps, the door swung open, revealing the imposing figure of a man she knew all too well.

The dim lighting cast an enigmatic silhouette, shrouding his features in mystery as he stood in the doorway, a presence that both intrigued and unsettled her. The sudden arrival of this familiar yet enigmatic figure added another layer of complexity to the already tense atmosphere, leaving her wondering what his presence might signify.

Her gaze roamed across his face, tracing the contours of his features with a mix of curiosity and recognition. As her eyes explored, she couldn't help but notice the familiar look that resided there.

He was drunk.

"Natalie!" he exclaimed, his voice echoing through the air as he approached her with determined strides. In response, she swiftly rose from her seated position, a sense of urgency propelling her backward steps. It was as if an invisible barrier had formed between them, a complex dance of emotions and unspoken words unfolding in the space between them.

"Yes, daddy?" she whispered, her voice trembling like a delicate feather, a mixture of gentleness and fear. With each step her father took towards her, the complexity of their relationship became palpable, the weight of their unspoken emotions hanging in the air like an unresolved puzzle.