xxiii

third person

"I'm done Tilly" Matt declared in a decisive tone, as he abruptly entered Chris' bedroom, the air heavy with tension and unspoken words.

Gratefully, Chris was amiss on that particular day, selecting to partake in a cinematic escapade with Nick, Nate, and his parents.

Consequently, solely Matt and Natalie remained ensconced within the tranquil abode, ushering in a nuanced alteration in the customary interplay.

Natalie furrows her eyebrows, shrugging casually. "Okay?" she utters, her tone nonchalant, while he scoffs and firmly shuts Chris' door, his hand reaching to pinch the bridge of his nose in frustration.

In a symphony of diminutive yet fervent movements, he shakes his head in dissent. "You don't get to act like this," Matt articulates with a firm resolve.

"Act like what, Matthew?" Natalie inquires, her head tilting inquisitively as she gently sets her phone down on the bed, the screen casting a soft glow in the dimly lit room.

"You know what I mean," he grits out between clenched teeth, the tension palpable in his voice.

Natalie emits a soft, melodious laughter, like a gentle breeze rustling through the leaves on a tranquil evening.

"It takes but a mere whisper to stir your ire, doesn't it?" Natalie jests, a mischievous glint in her eyes, as Matt playfully rolls his eyes in response. "But no, seriously, I don't get what you mean," she counters with a hint of amusement.

Matt's eyes perform a graceful dance of exasperation, a silent ballet of frustration and weariness.

"I mean, you don't get to waltz back into my life after years of silence and then meddle with my brother. It's unjust," Matt expresses, his voice tinged with frustration and unresolved emotions.

"I have every right," Natalie deadpans, her words cutting through the tension, as Matt furrows his eyebrows in response.

"You cheated on me. Did you not?" Natalie states, her head tilted slightly, a feigned pout playing on her lips.

"Cause - cause you were gone, Tilly! What was I supposed to do about that?" Matt exclaims in frustration, his voice tinged with emotion as tears begin to well in his waterline.

"Yeah, I was! Did I not explain why??" Natalie yells back, her voice tinged with frustration, the intensity of her emotions palpable in the air.

"Yeah, but you could've at least left a message," Matt protests, his tone earnest. "At least a 'Hey Matt! I'm not feeling too well, so I'm gonna distance myself from the population for a bit' or 'Hey Matt! Something happened, and I'm not in a good place mentally, can we have some space?'" Matt argues, his words echoing with a sense of longing for understanding.

"Well, I didn't, and I was wrong! I admit I was wrong! But you were even worse," Natalie argues, her voice rising as she sits up, her eyes reflecting a mix of hurt and defiance. "I mean, cheating on me? You can't justify that," she states firmly, her words laced with a sense of betrayal and disbelief.

"I know I can't justify my actions, but I've apologized!" Matt croaks, his voice strained with emotion as tears start to fall from his eyes. "I still love you, Tilly. I've never stopped," Matt confesses, his words heavy with sincerity and longing.

The air around them thickens with an eerie hush, wrapping them in a disquieting embrace.

Natalie harbored an intense aversion towards that particular situation.

They never encountered moments of uncomfortable quiet; their silences were either suffused with ease or brimming with palpable tension.

Natalie shakes her head, her voice barely above a whisper, "You need to move on, Matt," she murmurs, her gaze dropping as tears begin to well up along her waterline.

Matt's gaze gentled, his heart fracturing into a myriad of shattered fragments.

Matt runs his hand through his hair, nodding in silent acknowledgment, "I know," he whispers before quietly exiting the room.

That's a topic she has been evading.

Natalie's heart still harbors affection for him.

Matt's affection for her remains steadfast and unwavering.

— !! 💌
ew this was such a short chapter HELP
its been a month my fault guys 🙁
i basically lost ALL of the
remaining motivation to write so..

thhs was an insanely short chapter but
i will make it up to u guys i promise 😭

school is genuinely fucking me from the
ass i cant