chapter one

She was still in her teens. Not yet a child, but not yet mature enough to be a true adult. She hadn't experienced war yet, and true love was far in the future. It was a time when everything was how it was supposed to be. Her family was together, as it always had been. Her troubles were behind her, and she saw little wrong with the world. There was still a sense of naivety within her. She watched through hopeful brown eyes, and her heart remained on her sleeve. There wasn't much she had to worry about, and she liked that.

It was the same as always. The sky was clear, and the air fresh. Laurance woken long before her, already on duty. Cadenza was awake too, but she had always been an early bird. Hayden sat at the table, a fresh cup of coffee in hand.

"Mornin' daddy."

Cadenza was preparing breakfast as Alex spoke. A fresh vase of roses sitting on the table. Despite Cadenza's trauma, Alex questioned Cadenza's love for roses. When Cadenza was found by Hayden, as she was the first one to be truly adopted, she was found in a field of roses. Though, the irony ran strong as her village burned a fierce red only feet away from her, her family trapped inside. Despite this, Cadenza's love for roses continued to reign strong, red being her favorite.

"You're offly chipper this morning," Hayden says.

She wasn't always this happy in the morning. Oftentimes, Alex would trudge down the stairs after waking up. Her hair would be a mess, and she was groggy. She wasn't like Cadenza, who could easily get out of bed and prepare for the day.

"I don't think that's a bad thing," Alex responds, reaching over him for an apple. She examines it before taking a bite. "You always tell me to relish the day. I figured I'd do just that. The seasons will change soon, so I want to explore once more before it's too late."

"Aren't you going to have breakfast before then?"

Alex shakes her head, sinking the apple between her teeth to keep it within grasp. Her arm slides into her jacket sleeve, the other arm gliding afterward. "That's what the apple is for. The days are growing shorter. There isn't a minute to waste."

"Aren't you forgetting something?"

Alex's eyes widen, and she rushes towards Hayden's side and presses a kiss against his cheek. "I love you, daddy. Bye Cadi!"

Alex rushes out the door, causing it to close with a harsh 'thud.' Hayden and Cadenza both share a confused look. Neither one could understand her eagerness this morning.

She was the forgettable Zvahl. Her mind was sharp, but she wasn't the Zvahl most people thought of when the name came to mind. Hayden was lord, so he was first. Laurance was head guard, so he was typically second. Cadenza was the beauty and admired by all, so she was normally the most thought of sister. Alex was the baby. She was still viewed as a child despite her age.

Alex had never experienced love the way others did. Cadenza could make boys swoon for her. Alex was lucky if one batted an eye her way. She wasn't offended, though. No boy caught her eye, either. It was a small village. Nothing ever changed, and everyone knew everyone. It had always been that way.

So when a new face appeared, Alex was confused. At first, she watched from the library's window. Laurance was with the woman. She appeared to be Alex's age, but Alex felt she was a few years older. Perhaps, she was closer to Laurance's age at best. It was evident she wasn't from around here.

The library had a clear view of the dock. Depending on where you sat, you could watch the water and whom it welcomed. It was rare for someone to come by. Today must've been special.

The women looked out of place. She had a large cloak, and a long purple dress that cleared her feet. She wore the hood down, and locks of unruly raven hair fought to escape its hold. She was stepping out of her boat, and Laurance took note of this as well.

He strode proudly towards her, chin high. She looked hesitant at first to exit her boat, but she eventually did. Alex giggled quietly from her boat when she caught a tumble from the woman. Laurance catches her, and the two leave soon after. Alex's attention is lost due to their stroll from the dock.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

"Cadenza."

Alex said her older sister's full name. The two had been laying down for bed, but Alex couldn't help but to stare up at the ceiling. While Cadenza was half asleep, Alex was twisting and turning. She just couldn't seem to fall asleep as easily as her sister could.

"Yes, Alex?"

"Has Laurance been acting differently?" She asks. "It seems that ever since he met the new lord of Phoenix Drop that he's been acting strangely."

A soft hum could be heard from Cadenza's side of the room. Neither female could see the other due to the darkness surrounding them. "I suppose I have. I thought it was simply political. I've just ignored it. She has been around frequently."

Alex dismisses Cadenza's words to be true. She never cared much for politics, and it could've been just that. It also could've been a simple infatuation that Laurance had. He was always one to flirt with whomever he found to be attractive.

She shifts to her side, fighting with her blanket in order to feel comfortable. Cadenza allows herself to grow tired once more, ignoring the heaviness of her eyelids.

A few minutes later, the sound of a quarrel can be heard from the kitchen. It's hushed, but it travels up the stairs nonetheless. Alex tries to focus on the voices. She knows it's Laurance and Hayden, but she was noisy on what they were discussing.

She sneaks out of her bed, the wood creaking softly under her weight.

"Alex," Cadenza hisses, wishing for her sister to return to her bed. "That isn't any of your business. Go back to bed."

Alex shakes her head. "You may be a good person on leaving their business to be their business, but I am not."

Cadenza groans from her bed, thrashing her covers from herself. She follows Alex down the stairs, tiptoeing in order to remain quiet. She's much more graceful than her little sister is, despite only being a few years older in age.

"I think it is better that you stay in Meteli." Hayden's voice is firm.

Whatever the conversation was, it was serious. The two men sit at the table. Hayden has papers in front of him. It was obvious that he had brought work home with him. Laurance had freshly changed into different clothes. He had a later shift that day.

"Father, I am a grown man. I'm in my twenties, after all. I can make decisions for myself. Meteli is far too small for me now."

Hayden places his glasses on his papers. His lips purse, a trait his youngest learned from him. He was trying to remain level-headed. "Phoenix Drop is not any larger. They're practically in shambles from the loss of a lord for so long. At least we are established."

"That's another reason why I should go there. Their guards are lacking in number, and they're rebuilding with the new lord's help. I feel like they need me. Meteli will be perfectly fine without me. My second can take over my position."

There's silence within the kitchen. Alex and Cadenza look towards each other. Alex can feel her heart drop to her stomach, and Cadenza feels a sense of guilt within her.

"It seems as if your mind is made up."

"I leave in two days."

Defeated, Alex walks up the stairs quickly. She didn't want to be caught listening in on their conversation. And frankly, she didn't want to be around it anymore. Everything would change in two days, and she couldn't bear it. The two females return to their beds, neck deep in their blankets.

Cadenza was the first to speak up. "Laurance means it," she says. "I'm sorry Al."

"It isn't your fault," Alex says, looking towards the wall. "You didn't know Laurance would leave."

"I'm not sorry because Laurance is leaving. He's a grown man who can make his own decisions. I'm sorry because I wish to do the same. But because of this, I'll wait a little longer before I leave, too."

And just like that, Alex felt alone for the first time in quite a while.