chapter nine

The seasons began to change, and emotions began to stir. Alex could remember all the stories Cadenza would tell her about boys and crushes she'd have. Cadenza was a bit of a flirt in Meteli, and she often had flings. One fault Alex found in her was Cadenza's inability to be committal. After reviewing these conversations in her mind, Alex began to fear new feelings. 

She was waiting for Vylad near their normal spot. Their conversations were the highlight of her day, and she enjoyed his company beyond anyone else's. The name “Ro'meave” stopped being a sore spot, and the fear of Zane lashing out subsided. While he did enjoy the long game, Phoenix Drop was tired of catering around it. 

Rustling nearby called Alex to be in a state of alarm. She knew it wasn't Vylad. Normally Vylad would announce himself in a calming manner. He was also punctual, so his tardiness was confusing. 

Alex stands, her hand nearing her thigh. The rustling grew louder and more frequent. 

“I never thought I'd see the day where my sister had a blade directed my way.” 

Alex let's go of the breath she held in fear. Relief floods over her, and the dagger is quickly placed back in its sheath. “You nearly scared me to death!” 

Laurance shakes his head and looks around. Dante stands a slight way behind him. The two were on patrol together, and they weren't expecting to see a family blonde alone amongst the trees. They also were not in this area regarding patrol either, but something felt off to Laurance. 

“Nonsense. It scares me more that you wander off without telling a soul,” Laurance says before eyeing her thigh. “Though, I'm more concerned about that dagger. Why do you have it?” 

Alex becomes defensive. She crosses her arms over her chest. She had had it for a little while now. “I have it for protection. Garroth was more worried about my wellbeing when I'd walk here from Meteli than you were.” 

“Of course Garroth gave that to you. How would he feel if I gave Kandi a dagger?”

“Happy that you were worried about her safety, I'd hope.” 

Dante begins to snicker at this, earning a glare from Laurance. Alex flashes a cocky smile towards Dante. She's been able to get to know him these past few months, and she liked him a great deal. She felt he fit in well. 

“Nevermind that. What were you doing? It's dangerous being out in foreign places by yourself.” 

Alex rolls her eyes. She hadn't told anyone about Vylad. And if she did, they'd probably think she's crazy. Seeing the dead Ro'meave brother? Creating a friendship with him? No one knew Vylad was alive, so she'd be the talk of the village. And with newly discovered feelings. . . they wouldn't understand it. Would they accept it? Or would they simply think she was searching for attention? 

She let him win for this moment. Vylad was a secret. Her secret. 

“I was perfectly fine, Laurance. I always have been. I don't wander far, and I'm always in the same place. If something were to happen, you'd hear me screaming for help,” Alex says. “Since when do you patrol this way, anyway?”

“Guard business.” 

“Laurance wanted to stare at the pretty trees,” Dante corrects. 

Alex starts to laugh, refusing to hide it. She found Laurance's tough act to be hilarious. She liked that Dante wasn't afraid to call him out. 

“I'm surprised he didn't stop at the pond and admire his looks,” Alex jests. Laurance's jaw visibly tightened. It was evident he wasn't over the dagger situation, or else he would've joked around with them. 

Playful banter continues between Alex and Dante, much to Laurance's disapproval. It isn't long until he cuts the two off. 

“When my shift ends, I'm teaching you self defense.” 

Both Alex and Dante stop to look at Laurance. He hadn't suggested anything like this in the past, so it was a surprising idea. Would he insist the same with Cadenza? 

“I'd rather learn from Garroth.” 

“Garroth's perspective is clearly flawed. He gave you the dagger. If it weren't for that, we wouldn't be in this position,” Laurance says. “I will be the one teaching you. That is my final say.” 

Laurance makes his leave after that. Dante shares an apologetic look with Alex before trailing behind Laurance. Alex debated between flipping Laurance off or sticking her tounge out. In the end, she chose neither. 

A stick breaks nearby, and Alex turns in the direction of the sound. With an unamused expression, she finds green eyes. “Thanks for the help.”