chapter five

Alex hadn't moved from Laurance's side in days. Hayden was most likely already back in Meteli, and he must've been worried sick. Cadenza dropped by often, checking in on Laurance. 

“We should get you new clothing,” Alex states, grimacing at how tattered Laurance's clothing still was. They had cleaned the filth from him, but the idea of helping him change was awkward. “I'll talk to Cadenza later about it. I believe she was working on it.”

Slowly, Laurance was becoming his old self again. She could tell he was hesitant with everything. His speech was slow and he stuttered when he spoke. He hardly smiled or laughed anymore. Alex had finally gotten over the idea of Laurance being a wounded bird and instead someone in recovery. 

“At least I'm clean,” he says, turning his head towards her. Though, he felt it was useless. He couldn't see his sister. Laurance tries to joke around. “I've felt a little d-drafty though.” 

Alex smiles softly at this, rolling her eyes. As if on cue, Cadenza strolls into the room. She holds a small pile of folded clothes in her arms. 

“Laurance, I've brought you new clothes.”

“The draft will vanish, then,” Laurance continues. “All will be right in the world again.” 

Cadenza and Alex share a look as she comes closer to the two biological Zvahls. Cadenza places the clothes nearby and ignores the looming question of who would help Laurance get changed. Instead, she grabs a hairbrush and sits beside Laurance, helping him to sit and announcing she wants to get rid of the tangles. 

The three share little commentary with one another, enjoying their time. The three hadn't truly been together like this in months, before Laurance left. After that, it was either a conversation with two people or small talk. Nothing like they shared then. 

“We'll have to re-dye your hair,” Cadenza says. “Your roots are showing your true hair color.” 

“Anything but that dreadful orange,” Alex says, casting a chuckle in her sister's direction. “You may be able to pull it off, Cadi, but Laurance cannot. I think he needs a haircut. It's weird knowing my brother's hair length is similar to mine.” 

A smile perks on Laurance's lips. It's a small victory between the two females. “You'll have to fix my hair. I-I may not be able to see it, but I know I wouldn't like it. M-Maybe we'll stick with my normal hair color.” 

Alex stands from her chair. “I can go find some scissors if Cadenza cuts.”

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

It was settled. Alex had officially decided what she wants to do with her life. And while leaving Laurance on his own wasn't a choice she wanted to make, it was one she was forced to follow. Cadenza was capable of taking care of him, and she wanted to get Laurance outside for fresh air. 

Alex was on her way to Meteli, but the mile felt longer than it should've. Her feet trudge along the ground, dreading her return. This was what was best for her, but she found that hard to believe. 

Hayden looked frantic when she opened the front door. It seemed he brought work home. 

“Hi daddy,” she greets, slowly shutting the door behind her. 

“Where have you been? I've been worried sick!” 

Alex feels small at the sight of her father. He's sitting at the table, a mixture of concern and anger on his face. She knew he wouldn't like her answer. 

“I was in Phoenix Drop,” she says, quickly continuing to prevent him from saying anything. “Laurance was in an accident, so I was taking care of him.”

There's a sense of visual relief that floods over Hayden. His shoulders lowered from their tense state, and his expression loosened. 

“Thank Irene you're okay. I thought something happened. How is Laurance?”

“He's getting better.” 

Hayden nods and motions for the seat across from him. He volunteers to make tea, but Alex declines. There's an awkward moment of silence between them until she speaks again. 

“I'm moving to Phoenix Drop. And before you argue with me, I'm an adult. I can make these types of decisions on my own, and I should. It just. . . took me a little longer to come to this decision.”  

Hayden's reaction to this news differs from how it did with Laurance and Cadenza. Alex feels it's much more tamer. Secretly, Hayden saw this day coming. He just hoped it wouldn't be so soon. 

After a moment, Hayden hangs his head. “Do you need help moving?” 

Her eyes widened with surprise. Alex expected a fight to commence. She thought of different responses on her walk. She created scenarios and how'd she'd react. Acceptance wasn't one of them. 

“You're okay with this?”

Hayden purses his lips. “I don't like this. . . Not one bit. I've lost all of you. But, I need to accept this. You said it yourself, you're an adult now.” 

Alex stands from her spot and wraps her arms around Hayden in an embrace. “Daddy, you'll never lose us,” she says. “If you take the path, we're only a mile away.”