chapter three

Alex started to make more use of the pathway between villages. While it had only been a few times, Alex would sneak off when Hayden would leave for work. To ease Garroth's worries, she'd carry a dagger with her. Alex didn't know how to wield it, much less fight, but he seemed content when he learned she was armed. 

As per usual, Garroth was nearby when she arrived. 

“Ah, Alex. Welcome back,” Garroth greets, coming forward to see the female. “Coming to see Laurance once more?” 

“I've decided it's time to see my sister,” Alex responds, offering a kind smile. “Are you always on duty? You've been here to greet me each time.” 

“It comes with the title,” Garroth admits, rubbing the back of his neck. “I don't remember the last time I had a day off. Though, I don't mind it. You're punctual when you arrive, you know.”

“It's based off of daddy's schedule,” Alex says. She stops for a moment, admiring him for a brief moment. “You don't have your helmet on. You're quite handsome.” 

She lets her eyes linger on his face, remembering every detail she could detect. It was possible she wouldn't have recognized him without his helmet if he wouldn't have spoken. She takes in the golden rays of his hair and blue of his eyes. A subtle stubble glides across his chin. Alex blinks when she notices she's been staring for too long. 

 “I'm sorry. . . that was weird.” 

Alex's cheeks flush with a soft pink, nearly matching Garroth's. She was embarrassed with herself for admitting it out loud. She was even more embarrassed that Garroth hadn't said anything. 

“I can, um, take you to Cadenza's if you'd like.” 

The offer only adds onto Alex's embarrassment. She nods her head, casting her vision to the ground. Replaying the event in her mind, she wanted to beat herself up.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Cadenza had been set up for quite some time now. It was a smaller home, but Cadenza lived on her own and was able to make it cozy. While the main floor was filled with what she needed, the basement was her personal fashion area. Hayden had helped her move. And while he didn't like it, he supported her far more than he had with Laurance. 

Cadenza sat at the table, sipping on the tea she had made when Alex walked in. She was filling in on what Laurance hadn't, and Alex helped Cadenza with recent events in Meteli. As expected, not much has happened. 

“You could come to live here in Phoenix Drop,” Cadenza says, glancing up at her sister from the rim of her teacup. “You seem to like what you've seen, and you'd have Laurance and myself.” 

“Cadi, daddy didn't react well when you and Laurance left,” Alex sighs, stirring her teaspoon around monotonously. She stares into the liquid, frowning. “It'd break daddy's heart if I left him too.”

Cadenza reaches forward and grabs onto Alex's hand from across the table. “At least think about it. You're a grown adult now, Alex. Father cannot control you like this. Besides, maybe we can find you a lover here.” 

“I don't need a lover, Cadenza,” Alex says. She turns towards the clock on the wall, shaking her head. “I better leave. Daddy will be home soon.”

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

The idea lingered strong in Alex's mind. She took Cadenza's words to heart, trying to think about what she wanted rather than what Hayden wanted. The idea lingered for quite a while. She wanted to go, but she thought she needed a little more time. Not for her sake, but for his. 

“You could just leave. I did.” 

Kandi was walking with Alex back to Meteli. The two had grown closer the more Alex would sneak off into Phoenix Drop. It was rare when Alex wouldn't make a day trip. 

“I could never do that to daddy. He'd be so lonely,” Alex says. It was mid-March by that point. The winter was teetering off and spring was on foot. “I do want to come, eventually, but I can never find the right time to tell him. And he's leaving for Brightport, so now would be a dreadful time.” 

“I suppose our situations are different,” Kandi says. “I do wish you'd change your mind. You can even stay with me if need be. I don't mind the company.” 

Alex smiles at her shorter friend. She didn't feel like she had many friends in Meteli. Awkwardly enough, there weren't many people her age. And for being such a small village, she thought everyone would be closer. 

“I could never wish to be that kind of burden. Cadenza volunteered the idea with herself, and I turned it down. Frankly, I think eighteen years were enough as is. I just need a little more time, is all. I'm his youngest.” 

“If you must wait,” Kandi starts. “You should remember that you are nineteen now. It's been plenty of time ever since Cadenza left.”