Chapter 4. The Wait

Two weeks. Two weeks it's been since Hisoka has reached the 200th floor, and two weeks still since he's last seen the Arena Ghost. He's even submitted a request for battle a few times, without answer. Tomorrow, her rank will be revoked. He wondered if she took off after their fight, to lick her wounds. Maybe I was wrong about her, he thought, aggravated. He took out his frustration on his opponent, prolonging the fight mercilessly.

On the opposite side of the ring, Yamikaze camouflaged his presence using his Nen ability, Shadow Veil. The shadows around him became tangible, allowing him to weave them into elusive forms, obscuring his true location. Hisoka wasn't one to fall for cheap tricks like that, however. Yamikaze attacked him with his thin shadow blade on all sides, but Hisoka anticipated each feint with a keen eye. That was when his eyes met with her in the crowd. Ah, my tantalizing Wraith, he thought, a sadistic smile playing upon his lips. I knew you'd find your way back to me. The allure of the unknown is simply irresistible, isn't it?

In one swift motion, he constructed an inescapable web with his Bungee Gum, ensnaring Yamikaze. With a sinister grin, Hisoka tightened his grip, rendering his opponent helpless. The arena echoed with his laughter as the magician delivered the final blow, ending the duel with a display of ruthless precision that left no doubt about the outcome.

In the audience, Kakume was retreating. Hisoka locked his gaze on her and followed. He found her sitting in the lobby bar. A public place... smart move. Not that it would stop him. He sat next to her.

"I knew I'd be seeing you again, Wraith. Our encounters never fail to leave me enthralled".

Kakume rolled her eyes. "Yes, yes. So you did." She sipped on her drink and shrugged. "Sometimes you just have to take a leap, and see if a net will appear. Now tell me, what's that information I'm supposedly so eager for?"

"I'll tell you if you give me back my Hunter License", he crooned.

Kakume made a click of her tongue, but acquiesced. "Thought as much". She handed him the card. Just as she did so, Hisoka seamlessly transformed the license back into a playing card, removing his Texture Surprise from it. Kakume couldn't believe her eyes. "A fake? What game are you playing?"

Hisoka smiled. "Wouldn't you love to know?"

Kakume downed her drink and rose, pissed off. "You've wasted enough of my time".

Hisoka studied her, contemplating which lure to employ. "The Phantom Troupe. They are planning a grand heist during the Underground Auction in Yorkshin City on September 1st".

Kakume crossed her arms, unimpressed. "Why the hell should I care about the Phantom Troupe?"

Hm, the plot thickens, thought Hisoka. It would appear that she is not motivated by vengeance the way Kurapika is. Could it be that they are unaware of each other's existence? He did refer to himself as the sole survivor of the Kurta massacre... Either way, if I send her his way, things are bound to be interesting.

Hisoka shook his head. "What a narrow worldview you have. An event like the Underground Auction attracts all sorts and manners of people. The Mafia, high-ranking government officials, Hunters... flesh collectors. I'm sure you can guess what I am getting at."

Kakume perked up, eyes ablaze with interest. "Is that so? And I suppose you're what... giving away this information out of the goodness of your heart?"

So, she took the bait. "Let's just say... I have a vested interest in seeing you at this place and at this time".

The girl chewed on her lip. "That's what worries me. As it happens, your information doesn't interest me half so much as your intentions."

"They will become clear soon enough. In a place like Yorkshin, you're either a player or a piece." He produced a chess pawn seemingly out of thin air.

That bastard is concealing something, thought Kakume as she made her way to her suite. Even so... she needs to see where this will lead. She grabbed her bag and packed a few essentials, as well as a Hunter License she stole a few months ago. She then walked to the reception in the main entrance.

"I'm here to claim my rewards", she stated to the clerk, presenting her bag. "In cash, if you please".

Once that was taken care of, she made it for the exit. As soon as she stepped out of the tower, however, Willat appeared before her, blocking her way. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Out", she said offhandedly. "Personal reasons", she added.

Willat frowned a deep frown. Frownier than usual, even. "You're not allowed to leave on the basis of personal reasons".

"I am and I will". Kakume extended her aura. "Will you attempt to stop me?"

Willat shook his head in disbelief. "Foolish girl. Arlan will not be happy."