Chapter 26. The Clue

As Kurapika was heading to intercept the other Hunter, he thought about the message that Shuri left him. Eyes of scarlet, eyes of gold. This time, the emperor's feeling bold.

He was certain that it was her, now. The Scarlet Eyes and Emperor Time references were directed at him, and would be incomprehensible to anyone else. Moreover, he cross-referenced the many locations pinpointed on the map and attempted to link them with specific places. There were two things in her cryptic little poem that he didn't understand, and he assumed that they must relate to her next destination: "eyes of gold" and "feeling bold". But they would think it over later. The priority for the moment was to stop the other Hunter from finding her.

They had asked locals about him and managed to track him down close to the nearly abandoned gas station, adjacent to the highway. He was diligently working on repairing his motorcycle, from which a wisp of smoke was emanating.

"Greetings", Kurapika told him from afar. The man activated his Ren in anticipation. Is he expecting a fight? He continued. "I am a Hunter investigating the death of Harvey Sigbert. Would you mind answering a few questions?"

The man scoffed derisively. "No time, sheriff. Turns out, I just can't find it in my heart to give a rat's ass about some nobody getting skewered in this godforsaken dumpster. I'm sniffing bigger rewards on the horizon."

I can't believe they just hand out Hunter Licences to self-seeking bastards like that, Kurapika thought, shaking his head in contempt. "What are you after?", he asked.

"As if I'd tell a stripling like you. Look at you, you're greener than most of the lawns around these parts"

Kurapika's eyes hardened. He focused on the man's every movement. "You are trailing Kakume Reznikov."

"Kurapika!", Senritsu called out, concerned.

The man stopped what he was doing. His eyes locked into his, a vicious look on his face. He was beginning to understand what he was getting into. "You're starting to crowd me, friend. Why don't you just back off, eh?"

"I'm afraid I can't do that." The tension mounted, and Kurapika conjured his chains. "But maybe we can help each other out. I happen to have information on her whereabouts."

"Not the best sales pitch I've heard, not gonna lie. I may have underestimated you, but going after Kakume Reznikov is folly. If evolution has traced any groove in your brain, you'd see how dangerous a criminal she is. This ain't an entry-level job we're talking about here."

Kurapika raised his hand, centered. "I know what I'm getting into. But beware, I don't take well to competition. Best climb on that motorcycle and turn back."

The Hunter burst out laughing, then summoned a cloud of beetles out of thin air. "You're not cruising past that concept any time soon, are you? I don't play well with others."

Kurapika spun his chain rapidly, creating a protective shield between the beetles and him. Senritsu stood behind him, worried. He frowned, and swung it at his opponent, swift and hard. The man laughed, and evaded all strikes with ease. Kurapika could tell right away that he was an experienced fighter, and quite possibly as strong as any of the Spiders. Unfortunately for me, he is not a member of the Phantom Troupe... He has the upper hand, thought Kurapika. My Nen against any other opponent is only half decent. I will be defeated.

A beetle had entered his throat as he gasped. Kurapika went at him with all his force, an onslaught of attacks, each more precise than the last. Suddenly, he felt himself completely lose control of his body, a puppet to unknown forces. Senritsu had stopped moving as well.