Chapter 60. The Return

Heaven's Arena, oh how I missed thee, Kakume thought, walking the long path to the ring's entrance, waiting for the Floor Master to be done with his match. It didn't take very long.

Willat scoffed when he saw her. "I heard you work for the Mafia, now. Talk about a fall from grace", he said derisively, looking at her as if he had just bitten deep into a lemon or, alternatively, stepped into a pile of horse dung.

Behind him, the arena was still going wild from the excitement of the match.

"It's just a front", she protested defensively. "There were circumstances... I know this guy...", she stopped herself, groaning. "Listen, forget about all that. I've got an offer for you".

"What makes you think I'm willing to take offers from a traitor?"

Kakume bristled, her temper rising. "Excuse me?", she spat, red-faced. "What right do you have to speak of treachery, when you went on and tattled to a Hunter looking to kill me? What were your 30 pieces of silver, I wonder?"

Willat had the decency of looking somewhat shamefaced in response. "About that...", he scratched the back of his head with visible discomfort. Good, thought Kakume. Maybe I can exploit his guilt into giving me a hand. Maybe I can finesse him. "I think you should know that I never intended for any harm to fall on you. I never respected your methods, nor your rash and irresponsible inclinations, as you are well aware, but I never doubted your faith and loyalty to the Red Hands' objectives, and for that, you must be commended. When this Tam came to me, I was made to believe that he was a relative of yours".

"And you think that what, insurgents come from stable family circumstances?" She pinched her brow. "Anyways, I turned on you, you turned on me - water under the bridge. Let's move on, shall we?"

Willat rolled his eyes irritatingly. "Alright. Make your case".

"You've heard of King Nasubi's voyage to the Dark Continent aboard the Black Whale? 200,000 passengers, including the Hunter Association and the entire Kakin royalty. I intend to slip into fourth prince Tserriednich's employment, and I have this plan I hatched up...", she started.

"I know all too well how your plans usually turn out", Willat interrupted her. "What do you need me for?"

Kakume's eyes twinkled with excitement. "I was getting to it. So this prince is staying in a hotel which has been entirely emptied save from his own royal self. I'm in need of your particular Nen to scope out the place, and find out a way to him".

"What will I get in return?"

"Name your price", she said.

"Room on board the ship for Red Hands operatives", he responded, as if he had time to think it through beforehand. "At the very least five. We have a vested interest in the Kakin government as well".

Kakume deliberated, unsure of what her power was in that regard. Her bond with Kurapika will come in handy, to be sure, now that he was officially a Zodiac. "I'll have to ask a few favors, but I think it can be done", she said.

Willat nodded, as expressionless as ever. They might as well have been talking about what they would eat for lunch. Kakume grinned and slapped him amicably on the shoulder. "Let's get going then".

-

Kurapika had his plate full with the upcoming 289th Hunter Exam, as well as the preliminary background check on all the passengers for the trip to the Dark Continent. He had to go through many video recordings using Emperor Time and his Dowsing Chain to determine the intentions of each candidate, determining the liars and eliminating spies from infiltrating the Association. It was exhausting work, and he hid from Shuri how much time he spent in Emperor Time. He didn't think she would accept that, knowing that every second he spent in it reduced his lifespan by an hour, but the stakes were too high to care about that. Additionally, he had to deal with the informant within the Zodiacs. It was a complicated mess.