Chapter 18. The Reunion

The bodyguards stood around the hospital lobby, as Light Nostrade gave them instructions on their tasks for the next few days. Kurapika was not present, taking a few days to rest. He will be seeing old Hunter Exam friends, or some such, is what she gathered from Senritsu.

Their duties were to take care of the remaining auction and shopping for Neon, and to help the community in their endeavors to pinpoint the people responsible for that tape.

Nostrade assigned Kakume for the latter, which Basho seemed to find endlessly amusing. After the boss was gone, he approached her.

"What's the matter, Kakume?", Basho whispered playfully in a low murmur. "You look like you've been dragged face-first through hell. That crazy stunt you pulled... did Arlan seriously approve of this?"

Kakume looked at him seriously. "Basho... You better not rattle your tongue to Arlan right now. Nor to Nostrade."

He laughed heartily. "I guess that answers the question. That's why I like you – I never know what you're going to do next. But don't worry, your secrets are safe with me." He then added: "Besides, I'm not even a member, so it's not really any my business." He then left for his own mission. But Kakume trusted Basho. He was a good man, with righteous ideals.

She herself had wasted enough time playing the bodyguard. She had to keep the ball rolling. Now that the news had spread of the Troupe's apparent demise, Tam would be hot on her trail. She didn't have a lot of time.

I'm sorry, Kurapika, for withholding the truth about the Spiders, for betraying you once again, thought Kakume, as she walked away, determination shining on her face. But I can't let you walk this path. You have to let the Troupe go... vengeance can never truly be sated.

Senritsu stopped her as she was about to leave the building. "Kakume, what are you doing? Are you really off to do what the boss is asking?"

She smiled mirthlessly, her eyes burning. "No. I'm going to set the world on fire".

-

Seeing them had lifted Kurapika's spirits, at least for a moment. Their carefree nature, their endless curiosity, their childish pranks. Maybe Gon was right, and it was best that he focused on his main goal, and leave the vengeance aside.

But he had told them the secret to his Nen. In return for a strong power, he vowed on his very life to use it on the Spiders only. It was a vow to show his resolution. His power was the product of pure hatred.

"Now that we know about Kurapika's secret, it's too dangerous to wait around for Nobunaga to capture us again. We won't be able to escape a second time around. But if we have Kurapika with us, we take the offensive to them. We know where their current base is. They could be escaping as we speak."

Killua had a point, but Kurapika felt drained. The spider had lost its head. Limbs cannot grow back without a head. He sighed.

"You are not the only ones who know. I've been in contact with Hisoka. He knows that I am the chain user, but we made a pact. However, now that the leader is dead, I'm not quite sure what he will do."

As if on cue, his phone beeped with a message from him:

The dead bodies were fake. Ask the other Kurta. ★ -_- ¨

Kurapika's breath stopped and he couldn't move. The Spiders are all still alive? Is Kakume involved somehow?

"What's wrong, Kurapika?", Gon asked, worried.

He swiftly called Senritsu. "Senritsu. Is Kakume there? Can you put her on the line?"

He could sense that she was uncomfortable on the other end. "Kurapika... Kakume is gone. Just before she left, her heartbeat was this wild thing, like thunder rolling. I fear that she is going to do something... extreme. It was full of guilt and terrible anger. For reference, your heartbeat was quite similar before you left to face that big man from the Phantom Troupe".

He felt his vision blurring. Senritsu continued. "There's something else... The community has called off the hunt for the Troupe. They found out that they are from Meteor City, it made them change their minds. The Ten Dons have revoked the bounty on them, and refused any more involvement".

He thanked her, then immediately tried to reach Kakume. No answer. His thoughts were in disarray. Ask the other Kurta? How did Kakume know about this? Also, how does Hisoka know about Kakume? Could it be that... is she working with the Troupe after all? Meteor City, Senritsu said. Is she going to betr...

Gon jumped to his feet, eyes firm. "What's going on?" It slowed Kurapika's thoughts.

"The Troupe is alive. Their leader was never killed. What's more, the Mafia removed their bounty on them."

Killua interjected. "Who's Kakume?"

Kurapika didn't know how to answer. "Kakume is..." He hesitated. His friends looked at each other, unsure, as the rain outside tapped a rhythmic melody on the windowpanes. "She is... I have found another living Kurta". They all gasped in unison.

Leorio guffawed. "I knew it! All this time, acting all special... "Oh, I'm the only one left". I should have known you were only trying to get attention!" Kurapika elbowed him to the ribs.

When the irritation had passed, he felt dejected. "But... I think she may be working with the Spiders..."

Gon jumped again, cutting in. "That's impossible! How could she do that when the Phantom Troupe killed her clan?"

"Meteor City", Kurapika said, simply. Noticing the puzzled faces of his friends, he elaborated. "Although she is Kurta by blood, she told me she grew up with her mother in Meteor City. The reason why the Mafia pulled their bounty on the Phantom Troupe, is that they found that..."

Leorio finished his train of thought. "...they are from Meteor City too. Hm, so they prioritized their working relationship over their grudge".

"What does that mean?", asked Gon.

He continued. "Meteor City is a place that shows as a junkyard on all maps. Officially, it is uninhabited. Meaning that its actual inhabitants have no record of ever existing. That is quite the practical tool for the Mafia, so naturally they recruit a lot of its people into their circles." He paused. "It is said that the residents of Meteor City share a bond that is thinner than water, but thicker than blood."

Kurapika said nothing, feeling downcast, dispirited. He had felt that yesterday night, on the roof, they had shared an intimate bond, as they both mourned their clan. Without her presence there, he didn't know what he might have done. And she was there, every step of the way. Thinking that it might have all been a pretense... No, I can't let this affect me so. I need to focus on what's important.

"I don't think your Kurta friend is associating with the Troupe!", Gon spurted, abruptly. Eh? "I'm sure there must be reasons to explain her actions, but she wouldn't do that to you, especially if you are the only two of your people alive in the entire world".

"Oi, Gon... That's a big leap of faith you're taking on someone you don't even know", Killua muttered.

But he continued, undeterred. "I may not know her, but I know Kurapika! I trust his instincts, and if those instincts have made him trust her, then she must be on our side!"

Killua looked like he couldn't believe his ears. "That's Enhancer logic for ya", he said, sardonically. Kurapika burst out laughing. Thank you, Gon. You're a good friend.

Killua smirked nevertheless. "So... when are we going after the Phantom Troupe?"