Chapter 6

Twilight was thickening the shadows under the trees by the time Sandstar and Cinderpelt slipped down the ravine toward the camp entrance. They had slept in the barn with Raven and Patchpaw until the sun was well above the horizon, and feasted again on plump mice before they set off for their own territory. Though Sandstar was tired, some of the horror of his dream was fading, and he was looking forward to seeing his Clanmates again.

At first the new leader emerged unnoticed from the gorse tunnel with Cinderpelt. Brindleface and Sorreltail were sitting together near the nettle patch, finishing off some fresh-kill, while three apprentices wrestled playfully outside their den. Sandstar picked out the dark ginger pelt of his own apprentice, Squirrelpaw, and reminded himself to get him back onto a strict training schedule as soon as he could. There was no reason why leadership duties should prevent him from mentoring the young cat—after all, Oakstar had been a diligent mentor to him.

He was padding over to Brindleface when he heard his name yowled loudly, and turned to see Ashpaw racing across the clearing from the elders' den. The apprentice's flecked pale gray fur was bristling with excitement. "Sandstorm—no, Sandstar! You're back!"

Her noisy greeting alerted the rest of the Clan and soon they were pressing around Sandstar, calling him by his new name and welcoming him home. Sandstar wanted to give himself up to the uncomplicated enjoyment of their warm fur pressed against his, but he could not ignore the awe in their eyes as they gazed at him. He felt a sharp pang in his heart as he was reminded yet again of the new distance between himself and the rest of his Clan.

"Did you really see Starclan?" asked Dustpaw, her eyes wide.

"I really did," Sandstar replied. "But I'm not allowed to say anything about the ceremony."

Dustpaw didn't look disappointed. Her eyes brimming with admiration, she turned to Ferncloud and meowed, "I bet he's going to be a great leader!"

"He'd better be," replied Ferncloud; his love for Dustpaw wouldn't let him argue with her, even though Sandstar was well aware that he had never been Ferncloud's favorite cat. But the flecked pale gray warrior gave him a nod of respect, and Sandstar knew that Ferncloud's loyalty to the warrior code would ensure his support.

"It's good to see you back," meowed Silverstream, shouldering through the warriors to reach Sandstar's side. At least he seemed to have recovered from the awe he'd felt when Oakstar had named Sandstar leader as she lay dying. Now his blue eyes were filled with friendship and sympathy. "You look like a fox that's been dead for a moon. Was it tough?"

"It was," Sandstar murmured, just for Silverstream's ears, but Brightheart caught what he had said.

"It's only your belief in ancient traditions that makes you think you can't be a leader without dragging all the way up to Highstones and back. As far as I'm concerned, you've already proved yourself to be the true leader of this Clan, Sandstar."

Sandstar gave his kin a hard stare; he was grateful for Brightheart's loyalty and respect, but felt as frustrated as ever that the younger cat did not share his beliefs. He wished he could tell the white and ginger warrior exactly what he had experienced, if only to shock him into respect for Starclan, but he knew that was impossible.

"Shh! The ancient traditions still matter." The quiet rebuke came from Lostface, who had come to join Brightheart. She licked his ear and added, "Starclan watch over us all."

Brightheart returned the lick, his tongue passing gently over the injured side of Lostface's face. Sandstar's annoyance faded. He couldn't help admiring Brightheart's unwavering devotion to Lostface in spite of her terrible injuries. His kin might be difficult and hotheaded, with little respect for the warrior code, but he had brought this young cat back from the brink of death and given her a reason to live.