Chapter 9

Sandstar made his way thoughtfully back into the camp. Glancing around, he caught sight of Darkstripe gulping down a piece of fresh-kill beside the nettle patch. Mousefur, Tigerclaw, and Lionheart were eating close by, but Sandstar noticed that they had all turned their backs on Darkstripe and were not looking at her.

Silverstream must have already begun to spread the news of what had happened in the ravine. Lionheart and Tigerclaw in particular, who had both raised kits of their own, would be horrified by the very suspicion that a Clan warrior would murder a kit. It was a good sign, Sandstar realized, if they seemed to believe Silverstream's version of events. It showed that his friend was becoming accepted by the Clan again, beginning to recover the popularity he had once had.

Sandstar was heading toward Silverstream when movement by the warriors' den caught his eyes. Sorreltail was just emerging from between the branches, gazing wildly around. He spotted Darkstripe, took a step toward her, and then veered away to join Sandstar.

"I've just heard!" he gasped. "Sandstar, I'm sorry. She got away from me. This is all my fault!"

"Steady." Sandstar let his tail rest a moment on the agitated young warrior's shoulder, gesturing for calm. "Tell me what happened."

Sorreltail took a couple of gulping breaths, struggling for self-control. "Darkstripe said she was going out to hunt," he began. "I went with her, but when we got into the forest she said she had to make dirt. She went behind a bush and I waited for her. She was taking a long time, so I went to look—and she'd gone!" His eyes stretched wide with dismay. "If Brackenkit dies, I'll never forgive myself."

"Brackenkit won't die," Sandstar reassured him, though he was not certain that it was the truth. The kit was still very ill.

And now there was something else to worry about. Sorreltail's story showed that Darkstripe had realized she was being watched. She had gotten rid of her guard very neatly. She must have had a reason, Sandstar reflected. What had the dark tabby meant to do, and why had she tried to kill Brackenkit?

"What do you want me to do now?" Sorreltail asked miserably.

"Stop blaming yourself, to begin with," Sandstar replied. "Darkstripe was bound to let us know where her loyalties lie sooner or later."

Except for his anxiety over Brackenkit, Sandstar wasn't sorry that Darkstripe had shown her true self in a way that no cat could ignore. Although he had hoped to keep the dark warrior in the Clan, where he could watch her for signs of treachery, now he knew that Darkstripe would never be loyal, to him or to Thunderclan, and there could be no place for a cat who would poison a defenseless kit. Let her go to Goldenstar, where she belongs, Sandstar thought.

"Carry on guarding Darkstripe," he went on to Sorreltail. "You can let her know you're doing it now. Tell her from me she's not to leave camp until Brackenkit can tell her story."

Sorreltail gave a tense nod and hurried across to the nettle patch, where he crouched beside Darkstripe and spoke to her. The warrior snarled something in reply and went back to tearing apart her piece of fresh-kill.

As Sandstar watched, a pawstep sounded behind him and he turned to see Fireheart; the flame-colored she-cat pressed her muzzle against his, a purr deep in her throat. Sandstar drew in her scent, comforted for a moment just by being close to her.

"Are you coming to eat?" she asked. "I waited for you. Silverstream told me what happened," she continued as they padded together over to the nettle patch. "I said I'd relieve him later, to guard Cinderpelt's den."

"Thanks," Sandstar mewed.

He shot a glance at the black-striped warrior as they walked past her to the pile of fresh-kill. Darkstripe had finished her meal; she rose to her paws and stalked toward the warriors' den without acknowledging Sandstar's presence. Sorreltail followed with a determined look on his face.