Chapter 13

The squall was soon over. Sandstar led his cats home through a forest where every twig and fern dripped water under a clearing sky. Silverpelt glittered brightly, and Sandstar raised his eyes to utter a silent prayer: Great Starclan, show me what to do.

He began to worry about whether Goldenstar had sent warriors to attack the camp while Sandstar and the others were away. It would be one way to weaken Thunderclan so that Sandstar had no choice but to ally his surviving cats with Tigerclan. Relief flooded over him as he emerged from the gorse tunnel to see that everything was peaceful.

Brindleface got up from the sentry duty outside the warriors' den and padded over. "You're back early. I wondered if those storm clouds would cover the moon."

"Yes, but it was worse than that," Sandstar replied.

"Worse?" Brindleface's eyes widened in astonishment as Sandstar told him what had happened at the Gathering just before thunder and lightning prevented his revealing words. More cats joined them, and Sandstar was aware of shocked mews as his Clan learned what Goldenstar was planning.

"When the storm broke," Sandstar finished, "Goldenstar said it was a sign from Starclan that he had their favor. He and Leopardstar left, so the Gathering broke up."

"It might well have been a sign," mewed Brindleface thoughtfully. "But one that shows Starclan is angry with Goldenstar."

"Cinderpelt, what do you think?" Sandstar asked the medicine cat, who had listened to the story with deep foreboding in his blue eyes.

"I don't know," he admitted. "If it was a sign, it would mean Starclan stopped you from telling the truth about Goldenstar, and I find that hard to believe." He shrugged. "There are times when a storm is just a storm."

"It was an unlucky one for Thunderclan, then," muttered Longtail.

"I wish I'd been there," Brightheart growled. "I'd have torn Goldenstar's throat out. No more problem."

"In that case, it's a good thing you weren't there," Sandstar retorted. "Attacking a Clan leader at a Gathering? That would have made Starclan angry."

Brightheart narrowed his eyes at Sandstar, the challenge clear in his blue gaze. "Why doesn't Starclan do something to help us, then, if it's so powerful?"

"Maybe they will," Cloudtail suggested gently.

"So what are we going to do?" asked Mousefur. He was shifting from paw to paw as if he wanted to race out of camp and confront his enemies right away. "You're not thinking of joining this... Tigerclan, are you?"

"Never," Sandstar assured him. "But we need time to think, and rest." He yawned and stretched. "For now, we'll need extra patrols. Any volunteers to go out at dawn?"

"I will," Mousefur offered instantly.

"Thanks," meowed Sandstar. "Keep a lookout along the border with Shadowclan. And if you come across any of Goldenstar's warriors, you know what to do."

"Oh, yes." Brightheart lashed his tail eagerly. "I'll come with you, Mousefur. I could do with some Shadowclan fur to line my nest."

Sandstar didn't try to check the young warrior's hostility. No cat could doubt Brightheart's loyalty to Thunderclan, however scornful he was about Starclan and the warrior code.

Brindleface named Sorreltail and Blossomfall to join the patrol as well, and all four cats padded off to get some rest before dawn. One by one, the other Clan cats headed for their dens. Sandstar was aware of their shock, and the fear they did not quite succeed in hiding.