Chapter 18

"Disappeared?" Sandstar echoed in alarm. "What happened?"

"We're not sure." Brindleface was calmer than Sorreltail, but his eyes gave away his concern. "It was Squirrelpaw who first said he couldn't find her. I thought he was making a fuss about nothing, but we searched the camp. She isn't here, and no cat saw her leave."

"It's my fault!" Sorreltail broke in. "I'm her mentor."

"It's not your fault," Brindleface assured him. "I sent you on hunting patrol. No cat expects you to be in two places at once."

Sorreltail shook his head despairingly.

"Fetch Squirrelpaw," Sandstar ordered; Blossomfall bounded off at once to the apprentices' den.

While he waited, Sandstar sent Patchpaw and the three Riverclan cats to see Cinderpelt; Silverstream went with them to explain what had happened, and to assure himself that his kits would be all right. Though the silver tabby warrior was cold and drenched from the icy river, all his concern was for his kits, and as they crossed the clearing he stuck close to their side like a bulky shadow.

"I don't know what to think," meowed Brindleface when they had gone. "Maybe Rowanpaw got some idea into her head and went off by herself. She could be trapped or injured somewhere—"

"Or she could be in Shadowclan," Sorreltail interrupted, his fur bristling. "Goldenstar could have stolen her!"

"But Goldenstar was over in Riverclan territory," Sandstar told them quietly. "So were Blackfoot and Darkstripe." He saw Brindleface's ears twitch in surprise, and he knew he would have to explain everything to his deputy as soon as possible.

"He could have sent some other cat to do his dirty work," Brightheart put in.

"Have you scented Shadowclan cats around the camp?" Sandstar asked Brindleface. "Or Riverclan?"

The pale gray tabby warrior shook his head. "No cats but our own, Sandstar."

"Then it sounds as if she left willingly," Sandstar meowed. "Perhaps she just felt like hunting by herself for a change." But he couldn't help remembering the incident before he left the camp, when Rowanpaw had been furious with Speckletail for comparing her with her father. Sandstar wondered if he had misjudged how hurt she had felt.

He broke off his thoughts as Squirrelpaw came up. "Tell me what Rowanpaw did before she disappeared," Sandstar ordered.

"Just the usual apprentice chores." Squirrelpaw sounded anxious, his green eyes were wide and confused. "We changed the elders' bedding and brought them fresh-kill, and I went to get some mouse bile from Cinderpelt to put on a tick in Speckletail's fur. When I came back Rowanpaw had gone, and I haven't seen her since."

"Where have you looked so far?"

"I went back to where wee got the moss for the bedding, but she wasn't there," his apprentice replied. "And I checked the training hollow."

Sandstar nodded. "Did you ask the elders if she said anything to them?"

"I did," replied Brindleface, "but they couldn't remember anything out of the ordinary."

"And what about Tigerclaw?" Sandstar went on. "Did Rowanpaw say anything to her?"

Brindleface shook his head. "She was frantic. I sent her with Mousefur to search toward Tallpines. They aren't back yet."

"Did you try to track Rowanpaw?" Sandstar asked.

"Yes, of course," Sorreltail replied. "We tracked her to the top of the ravine, but after that we lost the scent."