Chapter 8

The snow had stopped by the time Sandstar and Squirrelpaw returned to camp. The clouds had cleared away and the setting sun cast long blue shadows over the thin coating of white that powdered the ground. Both cats were carrying fresh-kill; Sandstar had watched his apprentice's hunting skills and been impressed by the young cat's concentration and skillful stalking.

They had just reached the top of the ravine when they heard a yowl behind them. Sandstar turned to see Silverstream bounding through the undergrowth.

"Hi," panted the silver tabby warrior as he caught up with them. His eyes widened when he saw their catch. "You've had better luck than me. I couldn't find so much as a mouse."

Sandstar grunted sympathetically as he led the way toward the gorse tunnel. He noticed that Brackenkit, the most adventurous of Willowpelt's three kits, had left the camp and climbed halfway up the steep slope farther along the ravine. To Sandstar's surprise, she was with Darkstripe; the warrior was bending over he, saying something to her.

"Odd," Sandstar muttered through a mouthful of squirrel fur, half to himself. "Darkstripe has never shown much interest in kits before. And what's she doing out here on her own?"

Suddenly Sandstar heard a sharp exclamation from Silverstream and his friend flashed past him, hurtling along the side of the ravine, his paws scrabbling against the loose snow-covered stones. At the same moment Brackenkit's legs crumpled underneath her sturdy golden brown tabby body and she started writhing in the snow. Sandstar dropped his fresh-kill in amazement as Silverstream yowled, "No!" and flung himself on the dark warrior. Darkstripe clawed and flailed at him with her hind legs, but Silverstream's teeth were sunk in her throat and would not let go.

"What—?" Sandstar dashed down the slope with Squirrelpaw right behind him. He dodged the fighting cats, still locked together in a whirlwind of teeth and claws, and reached Brackenkit's side.

The little kit twisted and turned on the ground, her eyes wide and glazed. She was letting out high-pitched moans of pain, and there was foam on her lips.

"Get Cinderpelt!" Sandstar ordered Squirrelpaw.

His apprentice shot off, his paws sending up puffs of snow. Sandstar bent over the young kit and placed a paw gently on her belly. "It's all right," he murmured. "Cinderpelt is coming."

Brackenkit's jaws gaped wide and Sandstar caught a glimpse of half-chewed berries in her mouth, scarlet against her white teeth.

"Deathberries!" He gasped.

There was a dark-leaved shrub growing from a crack in the rock just above his head, with more of the lethal scarlet berries clustered among the leaves. He remembered a time many moons ago when Cinderpelt had appeared just in time to stop Brightheart from eating the deathberries, and warned him of how poisonous they were. Later, Raggedpelt had used them to kill her daughter, Brokentail; Sandstar had seen for himself how quickly and fatally they worked.

Crouching over Brackenkit, Sandstar did his best to scoop the crushed berries out of her mouth, but the kit was in too much terror and pain to keep still and make his task easier. Her head thrashed from side to side, and her body was convulsing in regular spasms that to Sandstar's horror seemed to be growing weaker. He could still hear Silverstream and Darkstripe screeching in the throes of their fight, but the seemed oddly far away. All his attention was concentrated on the kit.

Then to his relief he felt Cinderpelt arrive beside him. "Deathberries!" he told him quickly. "I've tried to get them out, but..."

Cinderpelt took his place by the kit's side. He had a bundle of leaves in his mouth; setting them down, he mewed, "Good. Keep holding her, Sandstar, while I take a look."