Chapter 14

"Sandstar," meowed Silverstream. "I want to ask you something."

Sandstar was crouching by the nettle patch. He had just seen Sorreltail leaving at the head of the evening patrol, and now he was eating his share of fresh-kill before rounding up a patrol of his own for an extra check on the Shadowclan border.

"Sure," he replied. "What is it?"

Silverstream crouched beside him, but before he could speak Rowanpaw came stalking out of the elders' den, her head and her tail held high as she headed for the gorse tunnel. Her amber eyes blazed with anger. Squirrelpaw emerged behind her, his jaws clamped on a bundle of bedding moss. He looked worried.

"Rowanpaw!" Sandstar called. "What's the matter?"

For a heartbeat he thought the apprentice was going to ignore him. Then she veered sharply to stand in front of him. "Speckletail!" she spat. "If ever a cat asked to have his fur clawed off—"

"You shouldn't talk like that about an elder," Sandstar rebuked her. "Speckletail's given good service to the Clan and we should respect that."

"What about a bit of respect for me?" Rowanpaw was so furious she seemed to have forgotten she was talking to her leader. "Just because I was a little late going to clear out the old bedding, Speckletail said that Goldenstar had never wanted to serve the elders either, and he could see I was going to turn out just like my father." She scraped her claws on the sandy floor of the clearing as if she were picturing the old tom-s fur. "It's not the first time he's said things, either. I don't see why I should have to put up with it!"

While she was speaking, Squirrelpaw had come to join them, putting down the moss he was carrying. "You know Speckletail's joints are aching because of the cold weather," he meowed.

"You're not my mentor!" Rowanpaw flared up at her brother. "Don't tell me what to do."

"Calm down, Rowanpaw," Sandstar mewed. He wanted to reassure her that no cat believed she would end up a murderer and traitor like her father, but he knew that wasn't entirely true. "You're doing very well as an apprentice, and you're going to make a great warrior. Sooner or later the Clan will see that."

"That's what I've been telling her," Squirrelpaw meowed, and added to his sister, "We've got to live down what Goldenstar did. That's the only way the Clan will believe in our loyalty."

"Some cats believe in it already," Silverstream put in, and Squirrelpaw flashed him a grateful glance.

The worst of Rowanpaw's fury was fading, though her amber eyes still burned. With a toss of her head she turned away, flinging her parting words over her shoulder as she stalked toward the gorse tunnel. "I'm going to fetch some fresh moss."

"I'm sorry, Sandstar," Squirrelpaw murmured when she had gone. "But Rowanpaw's right to be upset."

"I know," Sandstar reassured him. "If I can catch Speckletail at a good moment, I'll have a word with him."

"Thanks, Sandstar." Squirrelpaw dipped his head in gratitude, picked up his moss, and hurried after his sister.

Sandstar gazed worriedly after the two apprentices. He must talk to Speckletail, he decided, and soon. Constantly taunting the young cats about their parentage was not the way to ensure their loyalty to Thunderclan.

Realizing that Silverstream was still waiting patiently beside him, he mewed, "Okay, tell me what's on your mind."

"It's my kits," Silverstream confessed. "Ever since the Gathering, I can't get them out of my mind. Blackclaw and Stonefur weren't there, so I couldn't ask them for news, but now that Goldenstar has essentially taken over Riverclan, I'm sure my kits are in danger."