━ 𝟎𝟎𝟕

PEARLS N JEWELS
"He was pearls, she was jewels."

ISAAC AND LEE SETTLED onto the porch of the imposing yellow house, a departure from their usual routine, as they typically had more engaging activities to pursue. Yet, on this particular day, they chose to indulge in the simple pleasure of each other's company, basking in the tranquil ambiance of their surroundings.

The trees swayed rhythmically with the caress of the wind, their leaves whispering secrets to the passing breeze. Above, the birds orchestrated a harmonious melody, their chirps weaving together like notes in a symphony. Below, the emerald grass exuded a radiant glow, as if nature itself had infused it with a luminous energy, casting a spell of tranquility over the scene.

Upon arriving home with Juliana, Isaac was met with a stern lecture from Katherine and George, who were none too pleased about the prank he had pulled. The atmosphere was tense as the other boys received similar lectures, their annoyance now directed at Jackie for snitching.

Mostly Lee.

"Juliana and I are friends now—well, I think so," Isaac remarked.

"Okay," Lee responded, his expression devoid of emotion.

Isaac detected the lack of enthusiasm in Lee's reply and turned to his brother. "Aren't you happy? I feel like I'm making progress."

Isaac sat there waiting for his reply, Lee still not making eye contact with his brother. "Are you like emo now or something?" Isaac quipped.

Lee quickly denied his question, "No?"

Isaac, now looking forward, giggled at his reaction, "Then stop acting like it's the end of the world. So what if she snitched?"

"I don't care, Isaac," Lee defended. "You know how all of the boys don't like getting snitched on—I'm surprised that you're not mad."

"Oh no. I'm definitely mad, just not your kind of mad," Isaac remarked, directing his words pointedly at him. "The way you get mad is when people can't be near you."

"Shut up."

"Don't worry about it. Remember, we have something for Juliana," Isaac added, causing Lee to break into a smile.

___

NEXT DAY

JULIANA SAT UPSTAIRS in her room, hunched over her desk as she tackled her homework. A single question had held her captive for the past ten minutes, stubbornly resisting her attempts to solve it. Normally, she would set it aside for another time, but today was different. The urgency gnawed at her, compelling her to push forward.

Putting her pencil down, Juliana leaned back in her chair, a frustrated sigh escaping her lips. She couldn't help but blame herself for not tackling the assignment the previous night when she had the time. Instead, her thoughts had been consumed by Isaac—not in a romantic way, she reassured herself, but simply as a friend.

Juliana's train of thought screeched to a halt as she heard commotion outside her window. Peering out, she spotted Cole, Lee, and Isaac gathered with Parker, engaged in an impromptu football lesson. The sight of them enjoying themselves brought a faint smile to her lips, momentarily distracting her from her homework.