Chapter Two: A Day in the Life of a Noble

Chapter Two: A Day in the Life ofa Noble

The town of Marigold is known across the virtual world for the romantic sentiment shared by the masses. The lively spirit of the town is noticeable even at a passing glance.

Marigold is the largest exporter of chocolates and flowers in the virtual world. The selection of chocolate flavors is astounding. The chances are that the citizens have already thought of nearly all the flavors that can pair with chocolates. The city grows an impressive variety of flowers in fields so large that one can hardly turn a corner without running into flowers.

Not a dime is spared when it comes to decoration. Most of the buildings are painted in bright colors with the intention of mimicking the aesthetic of the flowers. There are decorative sculptures, signs, and stained glass windows practically everywhere that add an extra touch of humanity to the city.

Callie is staying at a colorful little home of her own. A home that has many pseudo-lavish rooms full to the brim with cheap decorations that she has come across over time. Cheap but stylish decorations really make the space feel lively.

"Please make yourself at home while I search for something that might come in handy. A last resort in case our negotiations for materials go south."

Zinnia immediately leaps towards a comfy couch. She lifts some wooden knick-knacks carved into the shapes of animals set on a table and starts prodding them. "How strange. I like them."

"You can have one."

Zinnia takes one carved into the shape of a bear.

Callie clears some curtains and opens a window. She can see numerous couples ride throughout the city's canals on canoes. Plenty of wonderful voices can be heard throughout the city singing every genre of song from ballads to opera. There are outdoor stalls and vendors selling chocolates and flowers on every street.

A brawny man playfully traps another in a headlock. He exclaims, "I love you! I would fight a wyvern for you!"

The trapped man manages to escape and turn the tides. He replies, "Only one for your best friend? I would fight ten for you!"

The first to talk replies, "Did I say one? I meant a hundred!"

Callie opens her menu. She scrolls through until she reaches the social tab. "First things first, I better check who is online before I go running off somewhere. I know that today is my lucky day and all of my besties are going to be online today."

Callie checks her friend list and brushes past the NPC section to the player section. There is not a single person online and she has not received any messages from any of them either. She quickly scrolls down the list to check the last time any of them has logged on. The last active person was recorded logging on at least several years ago. "Damn."

Callie's sense of smell is assaulted by a nearby perfume shop. She can smell a certain fragrance in the air that makes her scrunch up her nose in disgust. She closes the window. She mumbles, "Lavender, the most obnoxious and overrated of all perfume scents."

Callie browses through her treasure chests until she finds a letter among all the countless and useless items she has hoarded.

"I still feel really lucky considering everything that happened yesterday. Maybe I can pull this off with some of my world famous charisma."

Callie and Zinnia enter a merchant's guild where they talk with a few representatives of trading companies. Attempts at negotiations are made and failed.

Callie asks, "Do you take us for fools? This is daylight robbery. You are marking up the price by an extra half of their value compared to their worth in the player market."