Chapter Six: A Trek Through the Forest

Callie logs into ROW. She checks an update notice. "So they added parrots as an obtainable familiar. That is kind of cool but I don't see why they didn't add them when they added pirates in the first place. Parrots and pirates are kind of a package deal. The parrots are not so tough in terms of stats but they have the ability to copy three spells per battle."

"That is a really strong ability for a familiar. I can see why they need a casting limit. The summoner class players are going to have a field day with this kind of effect. Speaking of summoners I wonder if Heli is going to get a parrot. It would add some variety to her limited skill set."

Callie scrolls along. "They added angels as playable characters! That is cool! The update also adds a few new classes such as Trapper that angels have the option to unlock by default whereas other characters must accept quests from angels to unlock the classes. I wonder who discovered angels in game. There is no way that my discovery of a museum painting was significant enough for the developers to drop an update."

"Kind of annoying though since I will have more enemies to worry about with an elemental advantage that works both ways. Light being strong against dark and vice versa."

Callie logs into ROW and her character wakes up in the sleeping bag in Heli's apartment where she last left off. There are a few obvious differences that she notices.

"Why is this place such a mess? There are feathers, bread, and soda spills everywhere! Heli kept her apartment all nice and tidy. She is going to be so mad when she returns."

Zinnia drops a set of playing cards in her hands onto a table. "Callie, It is about time that you woke up! We need to leave the city! There are some fallen angels after us and they are going to know that we are connected thanks to the magic that we share. They will attack you too."

"Nice to see you too, Zinnia. So tell me, who is that? Either I have dementia or she wasn't here yesterday night."

There is another girl in the room with white hair and a single angel wing.

"Hello! Peri Nonya!"

"Is that your name? Peri Nonya? Nonya, Non-ya, like none-ya business. Ha, good one Einstein. Very funny."

Peri starts to cry. Days of repressed emotions swell and burst through the dam containing them. "Why are you making fun of me? That is not funny! I don't even know you and the first thing you do is make fun of me! What did I ever do to you? First the angels keeping the pirates in cages, and the pirates holding a sword to my neck, and now this? Is there no pleasant place in the world below the heavens?"

"Sorry, sorry! I thought you were making a rude and cheesy joke that I have already heard a hundred times before. Forgive me! Why is my earnest apology working? Uuuuuuuhhhhh? Okay then how about a peace offering?"

Peri cuts apart a so called 'can of fruits' that is actually a decorated slice of cake previously bought at the Wonder Mall.

"So as I was saying, my name is Peri Nonya and I am angel! It is nice to meet you!"

"An actual angel! Where did you come from? Who discovered you? What happened to your other wing? I thought that was a cosmetic item because you only have one of them!"

"Huh? What? I don't want to talk about my wing!"

Zinnia replies, "That is an adventurer thing! Kind of like a fun game. Something that I do not entirely understand myself either. I guess me and Melissa discovered her. We got into a lot of trouble yesterday when we went out to explore an island in the sky. There were some fallen angels keeping some parrots and pirates locked away in a bird cage. We fought with a monster called the Parrot of Envy at first but later realized that the fallen angels were unjustly punishing the innocent offspring of criminals.' The original sinners had already perished in the cage from old age."