Week 4 (1)

Merry Christmas lovely people ❤️❤️🎅

****

Ash proceeds so quickly that Karlyle even thinks what happened the past weeks was his own illusion. The same as the way Ash approached him with no hesitation, he steps back with absolutely no regrets as well. It isn't that Ash cut him off coldly. He simply expressed his intention to take some time to sort things out.

And Ash is the one who sends the contract to him.

The documents are delivered through his secretary. It's Saturday, one day before their final meeting. Karlyle's name is written elegantly in the center of the light apricot envelope.

Dear Karlyle.

He can imagine Ash's affectionate voice calling his name while reading the text. Even though being called by his name is nothing special, Ash's tone lingers in his ears as if it's a seal. This phenomenon is too difficult for him to understand.

It was only a few weeks, they met three times, and the total amount of time they spent together was 20 hours.

If his life were converted into numbers, the percentage of his time with Ash wouldn't even make it to the "small" column. Ash is no different from a passer-by. But he can't figure out why Ash has this effect on him.

Was it because they met too often in such a short period of time? Twice on the weekend, and once on Wednesday, which was yesterday. Not that much to be called "often".

Karlyle blankly stares at the contract. It is the end for them, but at the same time, not the end. Looking at his name on the envelope without touching it, he decides to put it aside for now under the pretext of doing something else first. It's late at night when he finally looks at the document, because of a text Ash sends.

[Hello, Karlyle. Have you received the document? Even without it, I'll remain a good friend of yours. However, I think you'd want to confirm our agreement in writing. It'd be more convenient for me to send it first, so I did. Please let me know what needs to be changed.]

His calm tone is void of the loveliness he showed just yesterday. They are talking about the future, but Karlyle gets the feeling that they are separated by a thousand walls. Then, the subtle discomfort he felt in days when he had to fix an unfair deal begins to seep into him.

Suddenly, he has an unknown impulse. He wants to reply to Ash, but what should he say? Karlyle has no choice but to open the document envelope he has been putting off all day. If he doesn't read this, he doesn't know what else he has to answer Ash.

He removes the sealed part with a letter opener and takes out the document with calm movements. Only two pieces of paper, a little flimsy for a contract. Karlyle puts the envelope aside and places the document on his desk. Picking up his fountain pen, he sighs. Hesitantly, he looks at the papers.

The content of the contract is as brief as its length. Under the title of the break-up contract, it says "Ash Jones and Karlyle Frost agree as follows regarding the break-up of engagement." There are two conditions.

First, Ash will listen to whatever requests the Frost family has regarding Marquis Gordon. Second, Karlyle can call him at any time when needed.

This is pure nonsense. Ash doesn't seem to have the slightest idea how easily this contract can be violated. Ash has no idea how far these conditions can be twisted, and how he might be used for this.

Aside from not knowing the extent of nobles' greed and cruelty, it's obvious that Ash has never written a contract. Ash obviously wrote it on his own without consulting a lawyer. He understands that Ash did it because this is their private matter, but that itself is proof of his naivety.