A year (2)

(Karlyle POV)

Humans may be the stupidest creatures. Animals don’t forget things they shouldn’t forget in order to survive, but humans keep repeating the same mistakes. That itself is a fatal mistake. On what grounds did he think his life could get better?

As he looks through the luggage he just placed in the warehouse of his mansion, Karlyle scolds himself for being a fool. Over the past year, he has forgotten the lesson he learned when he was young. Their marriage had a lot of friction from the beginning. The more he got to know Ash, the more he felt that he didn’t deserve Ash. His grandfather also said the same. That someone like him was granted with a good partner like Ash.

The marriage went better than expected, and he sometimes, no, often thought that their marriage was doing fine. Everything he imagined during the time he first spent with Ash’s family and hung out with Ash became reality. He was intoxicated with joy because he got to enjoy something he never had.

So he let his guard down. Under the illusion that this marriage would go smoothly, he didn’t make any preparations. He should have prepared to avoid causing anything that may lead to divorce.

Although he’s skeptical about what preparations he could have done.

Karlyle reflects on what he could have done better. To be honest, there’s nothing to point out. He gave in to whatever Ash wanted, and also because he had the ability to do so. He made sure that their marriage never lacked anything materially. The same went for their lifestyle. To begin with, Ash was a very considerate person, so he didn’t force him to do anything. Thanks to that, they had no difficulties adjusting their differences. For the word “divorce” to come out of such a considerate person…..

His chest turns suffocated. Karlyle has to stop thinking. For the past two days, all he did was being sick and tired of his own shortcomings. He kept replaying how lacking he was and the fact that he had forgotten due to his own illusion in his head, until he became sick of it. This is enough. He needs to stop thinking like this. Since nothing would change anyway, it’d be better to do what has to be done.

There is a lot of work for him to do, time will pass quickly.

When he thinks about that, fatigue washes over him. The future unfolding before him feels so distant and alien. He will continue to work. Of course, since he is not the one to inherit the family, he will only be responsible for part of the business. It’s the tradition passed down from generation to generation for the dominant Alpha to be the heir, so it’s natural for Kyle to inherit.

Then….

Is he going to marry an Omega? As Ash said, there was a high possibility that his grandfather would see their divorce as a good opportunity. There will be reprimands, but if Arthur knows that he can kill two birds with one stone, he probably won’t scold him too much.

Karlyle hated the idea of marrying an Omega, so he could say that he wanted to marry Ash. At first, he thought it was strange to marry an Alpha, but he cowardly hated the idea of meeting an Omega, having to go through the process of getting to know that Omega, and suffering from the pressure of having to give birth to a dominant Alpha.

But now he has to prepare for it. What was predicted in the first place was only delayed thanks to Ash’s generosity. Karlyle decides to accept his situation.

The problem is, in order to do that, he has to erase the traces in his stomach. He slowly places his hand on his belly. He pushes his fingertips in. But he didn’t feel anything.

It is extremely rare for an Alpha to bear children. It’s already a rare case for his mother Alice, a female Alpha, to get pregnant. So the odds of a male Alpha being pregnant is as extreme as giving birth to a dominant Alpha.