A year (3)

"As I said, every moment can be dangerous."

After examining Karlyle, who almost burst through the door of the clinic, Luther makes the diagnosis. The ultrasound machine coldly scans his milky white and firm stomach. The drying gel on his skin gives him chills.

"Unlike Omega, your uterus is an imperfect organ, so its implantation location is not safe. So the chance of miscarriage is very high."

Calming down his impatience, Karlyle asks in a low voice.

"Is it okay now?"

"For now, yes."

Staring at the screen, Luther asks him.

"Do you want to check it out?"

"What?"

"It'd be better to reassure you."

Luther starts even before he can decline. Gradually, he can hear a sound from the monitor that is displaying the black and white screen. It is a small, faint heartbeat. Having been pulling his shirt halfway down after examination, Karlyle freezes. His eyes dash to the screen.

"You are a strong person, so the child will be fine. Though your case is not common."

Luther's gentle voice is covered by the heartbeat. It slowly dawns on him that a new life exists in his empty belly. It feels so strange to confirm in person the existence that he hasn't been able to fully come to terms with until now. He feels nauseous. and scared....

"It'd be great if Mr. Jones were here. I thought he would come with you on a day like this."

Karlyle looks away in shock at Luther's words. His mind, which has been caught up by the image and sound on the screen and left reality for a moment, returns to its normal state. His comment about Ash reminds him of a fact he has forgotten.

There's no way Ash would be happy. Rather, Ash would feel very troublesome, how can he welcome this? Of course, Ash will try to take responsibility regardless of his feelings.

It's right to get rid of this child, and he himself has decided to do it. Yet why is he relieved to hear that the child is fine?

"I haven't told him yet. I need time to think."

Karlyle reveals only the necessary facts. Since he's been lying a lot lately, he doesn't want to continue it here. What's more, Luther is unnecessarily quick-witted. If he dodges the subject, Luther will notice it.

"Are you going to abort the child?"

Like right now. Luther notices his thought in no time.

"Yes, there are too many risks to have this child. As you said, my case is not common, so there are probably more people who will be troubled."

Karlyle deliberately looks away from the screen. He ignores the small heartbeat ringing in his ears. Anyway, a fetus at 6 weeks is no different from a cell. It cannot even be called a fetus, and its gender has not yet been determined. It's only an embryo. He shouldn't feel guilty. It's just.....

Something in his chest keeps blocking his decision. His reason has made the decision, but something else is holding him back.

"Of course, the most important thing is your well-being. As you know, Alice has overcome several hardships while giving birth to the two of you, so it will be even harder for you. I think it would be better to discuss it with your husband before making the decision."

Luther says. Fixing his hair that has been slightly disheveled while rushing out, Karlyle answers Luther in silence and gets up from the examination chair. Then Luther adds.