Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Woodhouse Residence, Belgravia, London*

"Theodore!"

Louis and I jumped apart, leaping up in embarrassment that we had been caught in a compromising position.

"This is the reason why you are not allowed to be alone with him!" Theodore cried as I shook my head, realising that Louis was the target in a firing range and my brother had the ammo.

"Dr Woodhouse..." Louis started, stepping forward but Theodore raised his hand and Louis stepped back.

"You will leave...willingly through the front door or forcefully...out of the window..."

Louis looked at me and my mouth was open in shock as Louis nodded.

"I will see you soon...hopefully..." He left, dropping her head courteously before leaving quickly.

"Where is Agatha?" Theodore cried, calling for the housekeeper as I looked at Florence who was bewildered by what was happening.

Agatha arrived, an apologetic look on her face. "Why was the Earl here?"

"Dr Woodhouse, I left them alone for an hour at most while I was helping clean up after dinner!"

"How long has he been here?" Theodore questioned and I didn't know whether I should answer that question or not.

"He came around five in the afternoon..." Agatha admitted, her hands clasped before her.

"You should never have let him in or left them alone!"

Agatha looked down timidly and I shook my head.

"She hasn't done anything wrong! Do not scold her!" I said.

"You're right..." Theodore said, before turning to me. "I should be scolding you instead."

"Theodore..." Florence started but he raised his hand, silencing her instantly.

"Why was he here?"

"To keep me company, is that a crime?"

"You are not allowed to be alone with him!"

"Nothing happened!" I protested as Theodore scoffed.

"What I saw was not nothing, Adelaide!"

"Why are you overreacting?" I cried. "You are alone with women all the time and no one bats an eye!"

"It is not the same thing!"

"Yes, it is!" I protested. "You are alone with women in work and even socially and no one says a word! You only have a problem with it because I'm a girl!"

"Adelaide Elizabeth!" Theodore cried. "This is not a battle of the sexes! This is about protecting you and keeping you safe."

"From what? Louis would never hurt me!" I was angry. "And you are in no position to talk to me about protecting me or keeping me safe when it was you and Emerson who shipped me off to that god-forsaken school in Scotland! You do not care about me - you care about yourselves and your own damn reputations!"

Theodore was silent - I may have hit a nerve.

"Go to your room..." He said quietly and I looked at Florence who gave me a simple nod;