Glossary

ROYAL RESIDENCES:

Windsor Castle - A royal residence located in Berkshire. Preferred by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, they spent much of their time here where the Queen has lived since the death of her husband. Most of the royal court and family live there, including the Prince of Wales and his family.

Buckingham Palace - The administrative headquarters of the royal family and the official royal residence. Queen Victoria was the first monarch to live in the fully refurbished and expanded palace. After her marriage, the palace became too small for Victoria and Albert's growing family and court life so an extension of the front was created. When Albert died, Victoria moved to Windsor, preferring to remain in seclusion there, with the Queen occasionally returning for state events.

Kensington Palace - A royal palace located in Kensington, London. Home to members of Queen Victoria's family, including her daughter Princess Louise and the Duke and Duchess of Teck.

Marlborough House - A mansion on the Mall in St. James's. It is the home of the Prince and Princess of Wales and their six children. 

Balmoral Castle - A privately owned castle in Royal Deeside, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, bought by Albert, Prince Consort. It is the summer residence of the Royal Family.

SIGNIFICANT BUILDINGS IN LONDON:

Bethlem Royal Hospital (Bedlam) - A psychiatric hospital in Beckenham, London. A notorious place that houses the criminally insane and is also the leading hospital in psychiatric medicine and research.

Holloway Prison - A closed-category prison in Holloway, London for men, women and young offenders.

The Royal Albert Hall - A concert hall in South Kensington, London. Hosts operas, musicals and symphonies throughout the year but more prominently during the Social Season.

The British Museum - Home of the National Library and the workplace of Adelaide and Louis. Adelaide is located in the literary archives while Louis works in the classics department as well as the European and British. 

Somerset House - The office of the Registrar General of Births, Marriages and Deaths. Every birth, marriage, divorce and death certificate in England and Wales is kept in a wing of the building. 

SOCIAL EVENTS:

Royal Academy Summer Exhibition - An open art exhibition at Burlington House, Piccadilly,  that includes paintings, prints, drawings, sculptures, architectural designs and models. Takes place between June and August.

The Great Spring Show - A garden exhibition held by the Royal Horticultural Society in Kensington Gardens, London.

Royal Ascot - Race meeting at Ascot Racecourse in Berkshire. 

The Wimbledon Championships - Annual lawn tennis tournament held at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon.  

TERMS:

Social Season - takes place between spring and summer every year where the social elite hold balls, dinner parties carry out charity work and join in with various prestigious events. Starts in March with the Cheltenham Festival and ends in September with the Goodwood Revival

Debutante ('deb' )- a woman who debuts into society, usually of an aristocratic or upper-class family, after reaching maturity. A ball is held, hosted by the royal family and is seen as a young woman's "coming out", meaning she was looking for a husband. 

Chaperone - a person who accompanies an unmarried girl in public. Usually an older married woman or the woman's mother.

Promenade - An area where people - couples or families - would go for a walk for a while to be 'seen'.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hi everyone!

Here we have the glossary which I broke down into three sections. 

All will be mentioned or visited during the novel. 

I made a mistake in my research and thought the British Library existed in the Victorian era - it didn't. The current British Library did not exist until the 1950s. Before that, the literary archives and books were housed at the British Museum - so basically, Adelaide and Louis are technically co-workers as they will both be working in the same place, but just in different departments. 

The year is 1886 and the months are June to August. 

THERE WILL BE A LOT HAPPENING SO HOLD ON TIGHT!

A lot of these events did not take place in the times I will say they have but for creative reasons, I'm taking some liberties as well as the invention of a few events, which I have not included in this list to avoid confusion. 

So, with the glossary and the character list, do you have any guesses as to what is going to happen?

Well...let's find out!

I'll see you all in the first chapter!

xxx