Chapter 10

CHAPTER 10

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*St. James's Park, Westminister*

Louis and I were on promenade again.

We spent most of our lunch breaks together, strolling arm-in-arm, through London's many parks and green spaces and today we were in the beautiful Hyde Park, full of people enjoying the summer sun.

Colin and Christina were both close by, of course, but I wished we were able to have moments alone together. Louis had not kissed me since returning from our picnic at Kensington Gardens and I had missed him greatly.

We worked on opposite sides of the museum for us to even see each other, but every day that we could, he would pass a secret coded message on to the mailboys and we met on the front steps of the museum and headed out for lunch.

Christina had to be informed each time and I felt terrible dragging her away from her life to chaperone Louis and me, even though she insisted she did not mind.

"I know she says she does not mind but I do feel bad asking Christina to chaperone us all the time..."

"Me too..." Louis sighed. "Mama would do it as well but she is still in Nottingham and has said she won't be coming back for a few weeks..."

I smiled. "If my mother was alive, she would tell everyone to mind their own business and fight in our corner if anyone dared to say anything to us if we were alone..."

Louis smiled. "I would've loved your mother and I wish I had met her."

"I wish she had met you too..." I smiled, memories of my mother playing in my mind. "She did tell me boys were trouble, but I'm sure she would've made an exception for you..."

Louis laughed, pretending to be offended as he stopped suddenly, making me stumble and I swatted him playfully.

Colin and Christina eventually caught up to us, possibly because we were drawing too much attention to ourselves, but they weren't the only ones who were approaching us.

"Christina!" Octavia's shrill voice came from the left and simultaneously we all turned in her direction, smiling and waving at her as she approached us with a few ladies - the same two we saw with her last time.

"How does she always seem to find us?" I said through gritted teeth and Louis grinned as they all greeted each of us.

"We didn't introduce ourselves last time..." One of the ladies said smiling at me. She had dark brown hair with a large hat that matched the light green and white stripe jacket and skirt she wore. "I'm Lucy Calthorpe."

"And I'm Maude Fairfax..." The other lady wore a peach-coloured gown with red floral detailing and a smaller hat on her head, covering blonde hair that was decorated with red flowers. Both women were beautiful like Octavia with big eyes and blossom lips, pronounced cheekbones and small nose and perfect, unblemished skin.

"Lucy and I met at finishing school in France with Octavia and we met Maude when we debuted at Buckingham Palace..." Christina explained and I nodded, greeting them both with a smile.

"It's Adelaide Woodhouse, right?" Maude said and I nodded with a smile. "We've heard so much about you!"

"All good I hope?" I replied and Lucy laughed. 

"All good, I promise!" This was a little bit of a relief because at least Octavia had not been completely slandering me to others. "Where are you from?"