Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*Hatton Residence, Mayfair/Claridge's, Mayfair, London*

Animals had taken over the Hatton residence.

Cats, kittens, puppies and dogs - in every room, free-roaming everywhere.

Christina needed a distraction and hobbies and volunteering with Battersea Cats & Dogs Home and the RSPCA meant she fostered the animals before they were adopted out.

But Colin Boyle, Viscount Dungarvan was not expecting this. He stood in the living room, holding his hat as a puppy whimpered at his feet, kittens sprawled all over the seating and a cat slept lazily on the hearth of the fireplace.

Maybe he should come back?

"Colin!" Louis's voice came from the right and he turned to his friend, the two of them embracing and finally reuniting.

"Louis, my good friend! It is so good to see you!"

"And you!" Louis replied, patting his shoulder. "I'm so happy you are here for the social season."

"And I appreciate you opening up your home for me during this time..." Colin replied, both sitting down as a maid arrived with a tray of tea and cakes. "You know I was more than happy to stay at a hotel."

"Ah, but it is the season and they may be booked or overpriced. Why spend your money when you can stay here, free of charge?" Louis suggested pouring tea for himself and his friend. "So, your father has talked with you, then?"

Colin scoffed. "More like threatened me..." He shifted in his seat. "He wants me to find a wife this summer or at least try and make an attempt at it."

Louis smiled, shaking his head. "Why are you so against getting married? You need a Viscountess, as I need a countess..."

"I'd rather my sisters got married first and settled down before I even think about it!" Colin replied. "Aoife, of course, married last year, but now Saoirse should've been married first according to my parents as she is the oldest. I'm here to hopefully find someone for at least her, but you know how the English feel about the Irish..." Louis nodded, sipping his tea as Colin looked at him. "I might not have a Viscountess, but you have a Countess...you just haven't asked her yet..." Colin remarked as Louis smiled. "Tell me, how is the Cornish Firecracker?"

"As beautiful as the day we parted..." Louis remarked, never ashamed to express his feelings for his lady. "Since we proclaimed our love for each other, it's like everything is new and clearer and brighter."

"So...when are you going to ask her?" Colin asked, before frowning. "You are going to ask her, right?"

Louis scratched the back of his neck. "It's a little..."

He was cut off by someone entering the room, both men standing up. "Louis! I have a proposition for your little predicament!" Christina, practically skipped into the room, wearing a beautiful ivory and pale blue striped skirt and white blouse, her hair pinned back but loose around her shoulders and holding a kitten in her arms.

And Colin was taken aback.

Christina looked at him. "You didn't tell me we have a guest..."

Louis stepped forward, gesturing to them both. "Christina...this is Colin Boyle, Viscount Dungarvon. And Colin, this is my sister, Lady Christina Hatton."