A Confrontation in the Shadows.

Harry could feel his heart thumping in his chest. He was nervous. Afraid, even, to meet the man who killed his parents, the man who is after his life. He thought of numerous things to say to Voldemort, but couldn't think of anything. He could feel the fear grip him, but the Gryffindor within him wouldn't back down. When Harry entered the room, he was shocked to see who was standing there. It wasn't Snape. It wasn't Voldemort, either.

"Professor Quirrell?" Harry seemed stupefied.

Quirrell smiled at Harry, his face showing no signs of nervousness whatsoever. "Yes, Potter. Me. I've been waiting quite a while for you to show up."

"But- Why you? I thought Snape-"

"Ah, yes. Severus. He was on to me, been a thorn in my side for a while. He even seems like the type who would resurrect the Dark Lord, doesn't he? Next to him, who would suspect p-p-poor st-stuttering P-Professor Quirrell?" The man's cackle was cold and sinister, a complete opposite to his usual self.

Harry had trouble believing that Quirrell was the one after the Philosopher's Stone. It just couldn't be! After all, Snape had tried to kill him, hadn't he? He always seemed to pick on Harry deliberately, as well.

"But Snape tried to kill me during the Quidditch match!" shouted Harry.

"No, no. I tried to kill you, boy. And I would've succeeded, if Snape hadn't muttered a counter-curse. Pity." said Quirrell coolly.

"B-but- Snape was trying to save me?" Harry was in disbelief.

"Obviously. Why do you think he volunteered to referee your next match? He wanted to make sure I couldn't harm you while you were on your broom. What a waste of his efforts. After all, you'll end up dying tonight anyway." Quirrell snapped his fingers.

Before Harry could react, ropes appeared out of thin air and bound him. Struggling only seemed to make them tighter.

"You're far too nosy to be left alive, Potter. Scurrying about the school on the night of Halloween, I was afraid you'd seen me near the troll."

"You let the troll inside?"

"Yes, I seem to have a gift with them. Unfortunately, it was of no use. Snape beat me to the third floor corridor. That stupid dog couldn't even bite his whole leg off." grumbled Quirrell.

Quirrell waved his hand and Harry levitated near the centre of the room.

"Now sit quiet, Potter. I must examine this artefact." Quirrell pointed towards a mirror in the middle of the room.

The Mirror of Erised! Harry had failed to realise its presence when he had seen Quirrell in the room.

"This mirror... it is the key to finding the Stone." Quirrell examined the mirror, mumbling to himself all the while. Before Harry could say anything to distract him, Quirrell looked directly at his reflection in the mirror.

"I see it! I'm in possession of the Stone... I'm presenting it to my master. But... but where is it?" Quirrell wondered.

Harry had to do something to keep the man's attention away from the mirror.

"Snape always seems to hate me so much. Why isn't he here helping you?"

"He does hate you, boy. His hatred for you rivals his hatred for your father. Which I believe is the reason why he hates you. Didn't you know?" Quirrell asked upon seeing Harry's puzzled face, "Snape and your father were at Hogwarts in the same year. They loathed each other, which is why he loathes you in return. But he never wanted you dead, that's absurd." Quirrell turned his attention back to the mirror.