The Heart of Slytherin's Lair

Harry huffed in frustration. What is up with that diary? And why is Tom so insistent on Hagrid being the Heir? Harry knew there was no way Hagrid could be the Heir of Slytherin, especially since they had most definitely pinned down the Basilisk as the monster and Hagrid could not speak Parseltongue at all, as far as they knew.

But then again, the monster in that flashback hadn’t spoken Parseltongue either. It was a series of odd … clickings? Harry frowned to himself softly, letting his thoughts run wild.

Wait, Harry sat up quickly, what if it wasn’t the Basilisk but it was ONE of the monsters? It would make perfect sense if Slytherin had not one but two monsters in case one of them failed!

This made things much more difficult. Hermione still hadn’t been convinced of the whole Basilisk theory even though it made perfect sense. Ron was only concerned in a detached sort of way, he didn’t care much about the Heir of Slytherin outside of the fact that they had confirmed it wasn’t Malfoy after all.

It seemed to be  time to pay Hagrid a long-due visit.

~

Oh god, oh god. Hermione had been Petrified.

After that, it hadn’t taken Ron much convincing to accompany him to Hagrid’s cabin to finally find out the truth of what exactly he had seen in the Diary, especially that monster.

Never mind the fact that the Diary had been stolen that very morning. It really was not a great week for any of them.

~

Harry frowned up at the heavily boarded windows of Hagrid’s cabin, wondering half-hysterically whether Hagrid had gotten himself another Creature. They knocked on the door and abruptly, the door swung open to reveal Hagrid holding a battered and clearly well-used crossbow in a defensive position.

Harry, eyeing the crossbow with mild distrust, asked, “Could we come in, Hagrid? We have some questions.” Behind him, Ron remained a solid presence.

“O’ course, ‘Arry. Come in… Come in…” Hagrid mumbled with a confused expression on his face. “Sit down… I’ll make tea…”

They sat down, watching Hagrid dart nervous glances all around them as if expecting the shadows themselves to jump out at them.

“So… I take it, you’ve heard about Hermione then?” Ron started awkwardly while Harry silently observed Hagrid’s jumpy behaviour.

Hagrid let out a half-moan, burying his face in his hands. “I did… I did… Poor ‘Ermione, she really didn’ deserve that… no one did…”

Out of his line of sight, the boys exchanged a glance. Hagrid really can’t be the Heir. So what is his connection to the Chamber?

Startling all of them, a sudden knock on the door came, the boys quickly throwing the Invisibility Cloak over themselves and pressing themselves against the wall, trying to make themselves seem inconspicuous.

Hagrid opened the door cautiously, Harry suppressing a gasp at who exactly had come in. It was Dumbledore. Why is the Headmaster here?

Beside him, Ron whispered, “The short, stout man’s dad’s boss. Cornelius Fudge, the Minister of Magic.”

Scratch that previous thought, why is the Minister of Magic here?

“Hello, Hagrid,” Dumbledore said pleasantly, both the boys shivering as his eyes gazed right where they were standing. How did he even know? “I hope you’re doing well. I’m truly sorry for such an impromptu visit.”

“Er, it’s alrigh’, Professor… What brings you an’ Mr Fudge to me home?” Hagrid, Harry noticed with some concern, had grown pale and sweaty.