Abrasions Do Heal

Harry awoke on the last day of the vacation with excitement lacing his veins. The next day, he would be heading to Hogwarts for another year! Cringing, he hoped that no untoward events would take place. Or maybe I just jinxed it, thinking like that, Harry mused ruefully.

“Harry? HARRY!”

Harry looked over to see both Hermione and Ron waving over at him rather furiously from where they had secured a table at Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlour. He jogged up to them, grinning but somehow inexplicably glad that Fuhrer was not with him. Explaining that would’ve been rather catastrophic, with Ron insisting on meeting him and Hermione undoubtedly grilling him on why he thought it was such a good idea to keep a stray. What am I supposed to say to that? Oh, Hermione, he was just too adorable despite his frankly terrifying size and disturbingly long canines? Yeah, no.

“Harry, you mad lad,” Ron beamed, “Did you really use magic on your Aunt?”

“Ron, don’t sound so happy about that! He could’ve been expelled,” Hermione frowned rather severely, “Besides, she could’ve been very hurt which would’ve been Harry’s fault.”

Harry’s mood souring quickly, he said, “Well, she should’ve been nicer. She was literally insulting my parents! Don’t tell me you would’ve just sat there and listened to it.” At this, Hermione winced a bit, although her frown did not ease.

“Yes, but still…” She trailed off, being interrupted by Ron.

“Lay off it, Hermione,” He said, nudging her softly. “I’m sure Harry’s heard too much about it over these few days. We still need to get some stuff for school, you wanna join us, Harry?”

Gratefully, Harry nodded and they made their way through the Alley to Flourish and Blotts to buy the school books. As they approached the shop, he abruptly remembered the gift Hagrid had given him for his birthday.

“Oh, does one of you have Care of Magical Creatures? Hagrid gave me the book for that subject but I didn’t have the heart to tell him that I wasn’t actually taking it.”

“Good for you, Harry, I’ll take that,” Ron said, seemingly amused. “Did you know this insane girl’s taking ALL the extra subjects?”

“What, really?” Harry asked, bewildered. “What use is Muggle studies to either of us? We’re both Muggle-raised!”

“Ah, I thought it would be interesting,” Hermione shrugged, Harry and Ron exchanging glances over her shoulder. “But then what subjects are you taking, Harry? I thought you were taking Care of Magical Creatures and Divination.”

That’s because you didn’t bother asking me, he thought. Out loud, he simply said, “Study of Ancient Runes and Divination.”

“Really? Runes? I didn’t think you’d be interested in that,” Hermione hummed absent-mindedly.

Harry blinked, caught off-guard. Well, that’s one way to sound condescending.

As they completed their purchases, the conversation picked up once more.

“Let’s visit the Magical Menagerie, I want to buy an animal,” Hermione announced, leading the way, her bag nearly bursting. “Harry’s got Hedwig and Ron’s got Errol and Scabbers, after all.”

Ron grimaced faintly, producing a misshapen lump from one of his pockets, “Errol isn’t mine, he’s the entire family’s. Besides, I don’t think I’ll have Scabbers for much longer. Look at his state! He’s been losing fur and eating less since we went to Egypt. Don’t think it agreed with him, honestly.”

Harry winced, eyeing the animal with pity. Although he’d seen the rat right before summer, it looked as though it had aged fifteen years over the course of two months. “Didn’t you say he’s been in your family for more than a dozen years now, Ron? That’s a really long time for a pet rat to live.”