5: Murderer

Sigewinne was strangely cheerful to see you and Wriothesley as you arrived inside the nurse's wing, despite the circumstances. 

"You know that word travels fast around here," she commented, as she grabbed your arm and led you to the nearest bed. "So, you were down there for about two hours, hm?"

You were exhausted, stressed, and simply anxious by this time. Ever since you confessed to Wriothesley why you were put in the Fortress, he had not said a single word to you.

He had simply escorted you to the nurse's wing and then immediately left the room. His expression was hard to read. Was he mad? Disappointed? Fearful? You could not tell at all. His poker face could have made him a billionaire in your opinion.

You turned to Sigewinne and sighed. "I guess so. I don't know how long I was there."

Sigewinne moved some of your hair away from your face, caressed your cheek, and smiled kindly at you. "No matter. I will take care of you for the time being."

Her eyes darted to the front door, knowing full well that Wriothesley was standing there, trying to remain hidden. Sigewinne quickly concocted some medicine and handed it to you.

"Drink this. You'll feel much better. I'll be right back."

You take the mysterious medicine and drink it without question. It surprisingly tasted good - like pumpkin juice. You then got comfortable on the bed and shut your eyes.

Sigewinne hopped her way to the front door and faced Wriothesley with one eyebrow up. "How did you not know what was happening?"

Wriothesley sighed and rubbed his eyes.

"People have this tendency to see me as an all-knowing figure with mystical powers. In reality, I'm just one man with two eyes and two ears. How can I possibly know everything that's happening in the Fortress of Meropide?"

He thought about the intruder that stole the blueprints from his office. He thought about the guards' unauthorized use of the abandoned production zone. He thought about you being the first and youngest murderer to arrive in his care. Archon knows what else was happening inside the Fortress behind his back. 

Sigewinne placed a gentle hand on his arm, instantly calming him. She then commented as though she had read his mind.

"Are you going to judge (y/n) because of her crime?"

Wriothesley stared at Sigewinne and then shook his head. "You, of all people, should already know the answer to that question."

Sigewinne suddenly smiled widely. "Good! Now quit moping and get back to seducing her already!"

Wriothesley choked on air. "What-"

"I swear if you mess this up, I'll poison your next batch of tea," she said in a serious tone, even though her face remained kind.

Wriothesley could never tell if Sigewinne was joking. In fact, he didn't believe she knew how to make jokes at all. She had always been pretty straightforward.

He sighs defeatedly and then cracks the faintest of smiles. "Tell (y/n) when she wakes up, she's been summoned to my office."

Sigewinne's eyes immediately glow mischievously, and she turned to leave. "I'll wake her up right now, then."

"No," he quickly grabbed the nurse's shoulders to stop her. "Tomorrow morning."

"Ugh, fine."

TIMESKIP TO NEXT MORNING.

You wake up feeling refreshed. You had spent the night at the nurse's wing ever since you left solitary confinement. Sigewinne was watching over you with bright eyes and an even brighter smile.