10: The Crimson Butterflies

The Fortress of Meropide was in complete chaos as Dottore teleported his way through all the six floors. Sparks of various elements sizzled out of his body and projected themselves in different areas of the Fortress, causing some serious damage to the building.

With every Gardemek that came into contact with the different elements - whether it was pyro, hydro, anemo, electro, geo, dendro, or cryo - they became possessed with that specific element. They followed the Harbinger's lead and started attacking the prisoners all over the Fortress without any warning or hesitation.

Inside the Reception Area, Wriothesley quickly sounded the evacuation alarm and made a quick announcement for all the guards and Pankration Ring fighters to take up arms and assist with defeating the Gardemeks threat.

You rolled up your sleeves and stretched your arms and legs. "If it's Gardemeks we're up against, I got this."

The Duke quickly grabbed your wrist and stared longingly into your eyes. "I know you're strong, but... Please be careful. I don't want you getting hurt."

You smile back at him. "The strongest in Teyvat. You ready to do this with me?"

Wriothesley nodded. "Let's do this."

The two of you darted out of the area and zoomed your way down to the next floor.

Barreling through several Gardemeks, with some support from the other fighters and guards, you and Wriothesley each managed to take down dozens of foes.

The guards and the fighters were once more amazed by your strength and performance just as they had been the first time you fought in the Ring. You definitely deserved the title of Champion back then and even now.

With you and Wriothesley in the forefront, the other guards and fighters followed behind the two of you, fighting any Gardemeks that came in the way. It was complete war by this time.

Once the floor was cleared of all the threats, you and Wriothesley then descended to the Production Zone, both upper and lower levels. This is where the majority of the possessed Gardemeks were. You could not believe the sheer number of them. So many prisoners were also wounded and/or dead. Bodies started to pile up. Your eyes widened with terror at the sight.

"This is horrible," commented Wriothesley.

Despite everyone's help, deep down you knew it was impossible to defeat all the Gardemeks. But you didn't stop to think about the impossible. You charged in bravely - and quite recklessly. Wriothesley followed right behind you.

But the charge didn't last long as Dottore suddenly teleported inside the room again. He still looked to be completely out of control. Any projectiles thrown at him were futile due to the invisible shield around him.

The odds were not looking good. Both yours and Wriothesley's stamina was depleting. The possessed Gardemeks kept increasing.

Lyney, Lynette, and Sigewinne stumbled into the room, completely wounded. They helped as much as they could with their respective weapons, but it was not good enough. Gardemeks stabbed at each of them from all angles.

You and Wriothesley heard their cries echo inside the room. The hair on the back of your neck stood on end and goosebumps appeared on every inch of your skin. But you had no time to worry about your friends. The Gardemeks were ruthless and didn't give you even a second to turn away.

Lyney dropped to the ground from both exhaustion and low health, his arms and legs bleeding. He was breathing heavily. His focus was blurring, but he managed to keep his sights on you, hoping you were still alive.

Just as he was moments before blacking out, he noticed a crimson butterfly soar past him.

And then another.