chapter 2: the first call

Soobin's POV

I was finishing sighting in my scope when the alarm sounded, flinching from the noise, "Shit." I mumbled under my breath, quickly putting my rifle in its case, and sprinting to our locker room. The alarm means we got a call, and we only have about two minutes to get ready. The rest of my teammates were hurrying in there as well, and Yeonjun looked a bit flustered.

This is his first call and his first day, so I guess this will be his test. I threw my vest on over my head, getting a routine at this point to do it as fast as possible. The whole vest is about twenty pounds with all of my gear, and it's a bit heavy, but I really need to carry all this stuff with me. Most of the stuff on my vest is medical supplies in case someone's hurt. I already had my holster on my thigh, shoving my pistol into it as well before I put my earpiece in. I was the first one to run to the car with my sniper rifle, seeing Taehyun running out of the locker room at the same time. The cars are already packed with all the equipment we need, including our assault rifles that we all carry with us.

Taehyun and I got into the same car, letting him sit in the passenger seat and I sat in the back. Chan and Changbin always drive, and we were just waiting for one of them to get into the car with us and the other three will get into the second car. Chan hopped into the car a second later, starting it and waiting for Yeonjun, Changbin, and Ryujin to get in the car behind us. Chan put in his earpiece, turning on the radio and asking, "Yuna-ssi, bring us up to speed."

I saw everyone get into the car behind us in the rearview mirror, so Chan started the car and turned on the sirens as he drove. Yuna spoke to us as we were driving, "You're heading to Crown Corporation Tower. Disgruntled employee by the name of Yang Jihyun. Was fired last week along with a load of other people. I guess the company was making cuts."

"What's the situation inside?" Chan asked.

"Armed with a pistol. Has taken hostages on the eighth floor where he used to work. Everyone else in the building has been evacuated. No real vantage point for a sniper in the surrounding area."

"Alright, rookie..." Chan said, smiling right after, "Can you give us a profile based on that?"

He didn't hesitate, "The stressor was when he got fired last week, so he's probably there for his boss. Everyone else on the floor most likely isn't involved, so he won't have a problem with us getting them out of the building. His boss will be his only focus..." Yeonjun spoke quickly, like the thoughts were coming into his head too fast, "People who retaliate like this usually have a financial motivation, like a partner and kids to provide for. Most likely has no criminal record. He's doing this out of rage and is most likely not aware of the consequences of his actions. This might make him feel stressed or anxious when there's a lot of things happening at once. Most likely will be a bit skittish when we show up."

I was impressed when Yeonjun was done, and everyone was quiet for a few seconds before Taehyun asked, "You got all that from a few things Yuna said?" He said it in shock, turning to me to exchange a look of disbelief.

"Y-Yeah..." Yeonjun quietly replied, "Sorry, I know it's not a full profile of the subject."

Chan smiled, chuckling lightly as he said, "I knew I hired you for a reason..." Chan paused to think for a moment. I already knew what he was doing: coming up with a strategy in his head, "Alright everyone, here's the plan. We'll all go to the eighth floor and top priority is to get the hostages out of there. Soobin will stay with me while I try to talk this guy down. Everyone else, your job is to get the hostages out safely and then check to make sure there's nobody else in the building. Understood?"

Everyone said 'yes' over the radio, and then we were quiet for the rest of the way over there. Once we got there, I saw the police cars with their lights flashing outside the building. There was a crowd, which is the last thing we need right now based off what Yeonjun said. We scrambled to get out of the cars, going to the trunk where we each grabbed our assault rifles and jogged inside. Chan was in the front, leading the way to the elevator.