chapter 5: dinner and a nightmare

Yeonjun's POV:

"Come on! I feel like I know nothing about you, and you've been here for three weeks!" Soobin said, a smile on his face before he took a bite of his burger.

We stopped at a diner on the way to my apartment, Soobin said it was one of his favorite places in the area. We've been chatting away since we've been here, but I've only really been asking him questions instead of the other way around. I chuckled lightly, eating a fry before I said, "What would you like to know?"

He leaned forward a little with his burger in his hands, "What was the BAU like?"

I shrugged, "It was chaos, honestly. We would go all over the country to help the local police solve cases. That's the thing I wanted to do when I got out of college, but I hated the hours and travelling everywhere. I just wanted to be grounded somewhere."

Soobin nodded, "Understandable..." He replied, eating a few fries before he said, "I went to a military college after high school. Not very smart compared to you."

I rolled my eyes, "Don't say that. Just because I can read people's behavior doesn't make me a genius – I had to learn how to do it. I'm just hyper observant."

"But it's so cool! You're like Sherlock Holmes!..." He said, making both of us laugh lightly, "Profile me."

Me

Me

Me

I shook my head, "I don't profile my coworkers."

"Awwww... Come on~..." He whined, "Please? At least tell me how you do it."

I smiled softly, "It's just making inferences based off small details. Like how our waitress is currently going through a divorce." I said, picking up my glass to take a sip of my water.

He paused in the middle of bringing a fry up to his mouth, scrunching his eyebrows as he asked, "Wait, what?"

I raised an eyebrow, "There's no ring on her finger; only a tan line left behind. It's prominent as well, which means the separation is recent and she's been wearing it long enough for her to be married and not just engaged. Usually, the people who file for divorce are the ones who take off their rings first compared to their partners, and she doesn't seem too depressed, so she's the one who broke it off. That's subjective, though." I replied, taking a bite of my burger right after.

Soobin was in a state of shock, his lips slightly parted as he stared at me, "You need to teach me how to do that."

I laughed at his comment, "Years of learning and practice. Helps to have an identic memory as well."

Soobin put his burger down on his plate, leaning forward a bit, "You have an identic memory?!"

I nodded, "That's something I can't teach you, unfortunately." I replied, chuckling.

Soobin smiled at me, "You just get cooler by the minute."

I laughed again, replying, "Yeah, well I think you're pretty cool too..." I took another bite of my food before I asked, "What made you want to join the army?"

Army

Army

Army

He shrugged, "I wanted to keep people safe and I never really fit in anywhere in school. My parents weren't super thrilled, though."

I nodded, "Mine weren't either when they found out that I would be tracking down serial killers. My mom was pissed." I replied, taking a bite of my burger right after.