chapter 11: risks of the job

Yeonjun's POV:

We just got to the location of our next call, an office building that's three stories high. We don't know anything about the guy who's doing this, only what I could come up with from the little information we had. People that came out of the building said he was a middle-aged guy, average height with an above-average build. We don't even know why he's in here, so we're going in with almost no information.

"Alright, let's split up and each take a floor..." Chan said, getting us into a little huddle before we entered the building, "Tae and Changbin can take the third floor, Soob and Yeonjun can take the second floor, and Ryu and I will take the ground floor. Go slow, only take the stairs, and be quiet unless you need something. Got it?"

We all nodded, and then entered the building. Chan and Ryujin broke off first, going down one of the hallways on the first floor as soon as we walked in. The rest of us went to the stairs, Taehyun and Changbin going first. Soobin was behind me, slowly walking up the stairs and making sure we were all safe. Soobin and I stopped at the entrance to the second floor, and Changbin and Taehyun kept going up the stairs.

We were on either side of the door, and Soobin whispered to me, "I can lead. Grab my vest to stop me if you see anything."

I nodded, double checking that the safety on my rifle was off, "Ready?..." I whispered back, and Soobin nodded. He put the buttstock of his rifle on his shoulder, taking a breath as I whispered, "Ok, one... two... three—" I opened the door to the second floor, and Soobin instantly raised his gun and went in first.

The entire floor was office space, not seeing anything initially because it was all just desks. There were a few offices scattered around the edges, so Soobin went there first. Everything seemed spotless, not a single thing out of place. I was wondering if he was ever on this floor to begin with, but then Soobin took one hand away from his rifle and held up a fist.

We both instantly stopped, and he quietly pointed to something on the floor. I looked over his shoulder, seeing a stack of papers scattered on the floor. He must've been searching for something in here, and Soobin must've thought the same thing. He took a step closer to the wall, leaning up against it. I did the same, staying behind him as he peeked his head around the corner and into the office.

I guess he didn't see anything, turning around to face me. He was about to tell me something, but his eyes suddenly widened as he looked over my shoulder, and everything felt like it was in slow motion. He threw his rifle on the floor as he yelled, "Duck!"

I didn't react quick enough, getting a hard hit to the side of my head instead. I instantly fell to the floor from the pain, screaming since the ringing in my ears was deafening to say the least. I brought my hand up to hold onto the spot where I got hit, feeling the blood pouring out already. 

"Second floor! Officer down! Tango!" I heard Soobin say over the ringing, trying my best to pick myself up and help since he's by himself right now. Our emergency word for when someone's hurt or in danger was repeating in my head:

Tango

Tango

Tango

I turned my head in his direction, watching as Soobin grabbed onto the fire extinguisher in the guy's hands, and then elbowed him in the face right after. The guy groaned in pain as I stood up, the whole room spinning was making it quite difficult to focus. My rifle was on the floor, and I was trying my best to find it since my vision was fogging up.

I barely heard the clank of the fire extinguisher hitting the floor, turning my head towards him again once I got hold of my rifle. I tried to stand up straight, almost falling instead and needing to hold onto the wall behind me. Soobin skillfully twisted the guy's arm behind him, and then tackled him to the floor. I blinked heavily as Soobin put handcuffs on the subject, and I was too busy grabbing onto the wall because I was losing my balance.