chapter 7: old friends

Yeonjun's POV:

I was working out with Taehyun, basically killing time until we get a call and need to rush somewhere. Whenever we have a lull day like today, where we have hours of time, we usually practice drills, work on our shooting accuracy, work out, clean our guns; anything to help us out in the field. Usually, a few times a week I've been in the gym with Tae. It started out as we coincidentally always came in here at the same time, but now, we drag each other to the gym. It's more of just a small room with some exercise equipment, but it's still a gym in our hearts.

He was giggling at me, clicking his tongue as he said, "Are you slowing down?"

I finished the push-up I was doing, resting at the top for a moment before I replied, "Shut up."

He laughed harder as I did another push-up, struggling a bit to get back up, "You could just admit that I won. You still have to do twenty more to tie me."

I rested back at the top again, taking a few breaths, "Well, now I have nineteen." And then went back down for another push-up.

I couldn't see his face, but I already knew he was rolling his eyes, "I'm afraid your old, frail body won't be able to go on a call after this."

"Yah!..." I yelled, and he was just laughing as I struggled to finish the push-up, "I'm only three years older than you!"

He snickered, "You were born in the previous century."

I shook my head, "Do you want to die?" I said sarcastically, making him laugh in response.

"Hey, guys..." I heard a quiet voice say, making me pause. Tae stopped laughing, turning my head towards the door to see Soobin standing there. He only took a few steps inside, pressing his lips together. I went down on my knees, straightening my back so I was sitting on my legs. I was able to see him better, still wearing his uniform like he does every day.

His cargo pants were tucked into his combat boots, my eyes slowly making their way up. His black shirt was tucked in, showing off how narrow his frame is. His top fit snuggly around him, watching how he had a towel in his hands and was trying to wipe the grease off his fingers; must've been cleaning his rifle. When my eyes met with his, he was staring at me too. The way he pressed his lips together made one of his dimples pop out, making him look so cute. The hairband tied around his forehead meant I could barely see passed his bangs, but we all know it's his good luck charm.

He looked away from me to look at Taehyun, but he merely glanced at him and began going back and forth between us, "Chan wants us to meet him in the conference room."

I nodded, shaking myself out of my thoughts as I stood up, "We'll be down in a minute."

Minute

Minute

Minute

He gave me a little smile, his second dimple coming out of nowhere, "Take your time. He said there's no rush."

"Thanks, hyungie." Taehyun replied, and then Soobin took a few steps back to walk out the door.

He gave us one last little smile before he left, watching as he faded away. It's like I was watching him in slow motion, every little movement registering in my brain as something I need to remember—

"I won..." Tae said, making me turn to him instead. As soon as I did that, I glanced back at the door to realize that Soobin had left, and then quickly put my focus on Taehyun instead. He patted my shoulder, "Maybe next time, grandpa."

His comment made him laugh, and the annoyed smile was forming on my face as he lowered his hand and took a step away from me, "Yah, come here—"